In the southwestern desert ~ specifically in central New Mexico ~ it is not all that common to see many fungi until you really look for them. After a decent rain which is a rarity, I see tiny mushrooms popping up in parks, which is watered regularly. If you go up to the mountains, you see much more, due to the moisture from clouds drifting by, or hanging around. There you find moss, and fungi in more abundance. I have to admit I was disappointed that Aspen trees were considered the largest living organism until they discovered fungi is much larger, even though most of it we can't see.
Gorgeous little fungi. So attractive and so necessary, as Nature's refuse collectors.
ReplyDeleteMom always thiinks that fungi/mushrooms are as pretty as any flower and they are always so interesting and she yells at me if I try and eat any!
ReplyDeleteWhy would you eat them Duke? Surely there are more interesting nibbles to be found!
DeleteIn the southwestern desert ~ specifically in central New Mexico ~ it is not all that common to see many fungi until you really look for them. After a decent rain which is a rarity, I see tiny mushrooms popping up in parks, which is watered regularly. If you go up to the mountains, you see much more, due to the moisture from clouds drifting by, or hanging around. There you find moss, and fungi in more abundance.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit I was disappointed that Aspen trees were considered the largest living organism until they discovered fungi is much larger, even though most of it we can't see.
Even the aspen is spectacular but I agree we have a lot to learn about fungi.
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteCount me as another who is a little in awe at these organisms and their variety... YAM xx
bottle tops...or frilly parasols
ReplyDelete