Charity Knitting

Hats.

Hats for Hato Hone. (St John. The order of St John - first aiders and ambulance service - a lifeline (quite literally) for rural New Zealanders.)

I buy books and yarn at various charity shops. Hato Hone is beside the laundromat at Springlands in Blenheim. Buy something, have a chat... "Do you knit hats? We can always sell hats."

The thing about buying charity shop yarn bags is they always contain yarns I have no personal desire to wear - colours, fluff (texture), gauge (especially the bulky yarns). I sift out the part balls of double knit and 4-ply, sort the wool from the blends and acrylic, rebag the novelty yarns (ribbon yarn - that kind of thing - it goes straight back), set aside what I can use on my own projects and turn the rest into hats...

Ribbed Hats/Beanie - Glowing Embers


Teabag Hats

Variation on Ribbed Beanie - Sunroof

Ski Hats

Snowflake

Lined Fancy Hat...

HIP  (Hats In Progress)

Joining up with Yam Aunty's Saturday Stitches

Comments

  1. That's a ripping yarn for my Saturday morning.
    Love the sunroof one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something for the winter bowling team. You'd be seen coming (and going).

      Delete
  2. Wow. That’s a lot of hats.
    Are you getting lots of rain. All of Victoria is under flood watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to have been a very wet winter and spring. We survive on collected rainwater so we are not complaining and it gets the garden off to a good start. I wonder what the super El Nino will bring.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    Fabulous!!! As you know, I like a beanie and this variety is all the sort of thing I like to do - what have I got? Will it make a hat? And if not a hat, then some mitts or a cowl... I must ask our Red Cross outlet here whether they would like some - it would lend some purpose to my makes. Ta for the inspo! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes missions that target specific groups (homeless folk, seafarers - strange and somehow not, to put them in the same bracket) welcome warm hats. Missions to seafarers sometimes take them when visiting ships in winter - often crews are from warm climate countries and suffer a bit arriving in UK ports at that time of year.

      Delete
  4. I like all your hats
    I like knitting them too. Fast and like you've done, so many styles, colours, stitches. My favourite one though is a crochet hat done sidewayz
    But..... everyone has a hat and not many wear them. Only skiers in the family ever really make some use out of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the immigrant vineyard workers seek out hats (along with any earm clothes they can acquire cheaply) shortly after they arrive.. I often see groups of them going through the free clothing bin at the ReUse shop.

      Delete

Post a Comment