Bunk-beds

Bunk-beds are good aren’t they?  I had one with a sofa and some shelves at the bottom and a bed on top.  The sofa could be a double bed if we had visitors.  It had a ladder for getting onto the top bunk.  Sofa for visitors.  My top bunk.

After we moved house F made noises about selling it.  It couldn’t go upstairs because of the sloping ceilings, so it went in the very small bedroom downstairs.  It had to be pushed right up against the radiator.  No one used the very small bedroom and Mr B and F aren’t very tall so they couldn’t see onto the top bunk without climbing the ladder.  They never did.  They had no reason to.

What with heat from below and being out of sight, it was the perfect place for undisturbed sleeping.  I didn’t bother with the ladder, I could make a leisurely transit from the sofa to the windowsill and then up the back onto the top bunk.

One day Mr B’s daughter came to stay.   She said cats make her sneeze and her eyes go all red  - and she had to take drugs.  (Her drugs don’t grow in the garden, and she doesn’t lick the writing off the packet.)  She climbed the ladder and found my place.  F got a bit exercised about me using my top bunk and from then on I’d be ‘discovered’ and evicted on a regular basis.

No one ever asked whether I was allergic to Mr B’s daughter.

Comments