Crows

Crows – another consumer of rejected catfood, and harbingers of evil if ever I saw such things.  My humans seem to like them too, but  I think they have got nasty big beaks, they make a bone-chilling noise, and they are too clever by half.

I don’t even try to sneak up on crows – they look, and sound, dangerous.  I prefer to keep a low profile when the crows come down into the garden.  They strut about like they own the place – arrogant and proud.  Even the seagulls are scared of them AND I’ve seen the crows gang up on a big bird of prey in the airspace over my garden.  They avoid my humans, but other than that, crows aren’t scared of anything.

Keeping a low, low profile, I used to try to tell my humans there were harbingers of evil in my backyard, but they just laughed at me.  It’s all very well for them, they aren’t potential crow food.  F says “ that’s rubbish; they are called carrion crows”, but I’m prepared to bet they are adept at making anything remotely suitable INTO ‘carrion’ if the fancy takes them.  They eat cat biscuits, they might eat cats.  They bounce about the lawn, head on one side, beady eyes spying out the wee brown specks of cardboard catfood in the ragged winter grass.

Cat biscuits it was that attracted these beasts into my space in the first place.  My humans observed that the crows were filling their beaks with something which turned out to be stale biscuits Mr B had thrown away in the garden.  That was all the encouragement they needed!  When we moved house the humans discovered crows visit this backyard as well and they started buying huge bags of nasty dry cardboard food and throwing some out each day.

If I was the sympathetic type I’d feel sorry for baby crows being raised on cheap cat biscuits.  I’m not the sympathetic type and I genuinely hope inferior food weakens the blood line.  Give it a few generations they might be the size of blackbirds.

I like blackbirds.


Very tasty.

Comments