Update on Beekeeping - Bees like a Crowd at a Football Stadium

F made Mr B open  up my beehive on Saturday. It has been a while since she put the food in there and the bees have been very active. I knew something was going to happen when they BOTH put on crazy space suits.  Of course I supervised.

 We discovered that the bees had eaten nearly all the bee food F put in there in February.  They had even started to build comb in the feeder box.  Mr B looked at all the frames and put the hive back together with a new box on top for all the honey they are going to make, and a mesh in between to stop the queen from laying eggs in the honey section.  She’s bigger so she can’t get through the same small holes as the other bees.

For hours after that shake up of their home, the bees crowded on the outside of the hive and slowly made their way back in.  F said that it was like watching a crowd leave a football stadium – or in this case going into a football stadium.

Bees at a Football match

They’ve got lots more space now and we know that they are a strong colony because there are so many of them.

In the evening I caught F eating the honey comb that came out of the feeder box.  Now I know why she was so keen to see them opened up…….

My weed is starting to grow again.  Sunday was a nice day for rolling in my patch of weed.  Sweeeeeeeeet.

Comments