Allotment Update


Mr B seems to be working most weekends at this time of year, and F spends all her time at the allotment.  She seems to be of the view that I should spend all my time at the allotment with her.  I wouldn’t mind so much but there doesn’t seem to be anyone else around.  It is especially deserted when she works in the rain, and that’s boring. I sat in one of the rows of seeds at one stage as she was carefully spacing them out – just to make a point.   She just filled it in around me burying my feet and tail.  So that didn’t work.

The allotment doesn’t look like much yet.  She has planted out some small plants but the garden is all hoops and nets of one kind or another.  I am beginning to suspect she has an anti on cats and pigeons. 

Speaking of cats, I saw that Tuxedo cat the other day.  I sat on the upturned incinerator bin and watched him trying to hunt mice on a neighbours plot.  The neighbour won’t be best pleased but F and I both saw him grab the edge of the fancy weed mat thing in his teeth and pull it all back off the garden – including all the bricks and metal poles and big lumps of wood that were meant to hold it down.  He pulled it back about 2 metres.  F put it back again later, but I guess that might explain why she has securely staked wire netting over all her beds of seedlings.

No, Tigger – the netting is defence against wood pigeons, but now that you mention it I suppose it will keep Tuxedo cat off as well.

Lee did drop by without his dog and he and F went on a bit of a tour of the plots to look at slug traps.  I followed them only to get scooped up at one stage and sat on top of the communal water tank.  Next thing I know one of the crows that claim the allotments as territory sat on Lynne’s bean fence and shouted at me.  Of course I had no choice but to stand my ground and shout back.  How embarrassing; engaged in a shouting match with a raucous, unsophisticated bird.


Comments