Gingko Stand-off

A Gingko stand-off is like a Mexican stand-off - without the gunpowder. I've got claws and teeth, and that damned crow has that pointy beak and an unfeasibly loud voice for a relatively small creature.

The crow also has the advantage that it's unlikely to fall out of trees.  So it sits there 3 feet away from me banging its beak on the branch like a hammer, giving out that noise it makes, and tearing off small twigs and throwing them at me.  Unfair advantage, I say, throwing shouldn't be allowed.  The crow doesn't even nest in this tree; this is my tree, in my garden.  I regularly climb the gingko tree for fun and a better view of the garden.

F was gardening under my tree when it all kicked off, so she just lay on the lawn and watched.  So much for "we're a team" and "I've got your back".  At least the crow shut up with the noise while she was in full view, but he didn't stop with the banging and throwing twigs.

While we all sat like that sizing one another up, the robin joined us on a branch at my level but opposite the crow, and a starling alighted atop the tree.  And there we all sat in silence.  F never has a camera to hand when we really, really need it. 

I guess the crow eventually figured I'd be a while in the tree and flew down to the house to check out possible food sources.  It doesn't take me long to get out of the gingko and crows on the ground are on my turf......teeth and claws, and a very fat tail.  

I saw him off. 

And I paraded back up the garden to gloat to F.  That cheeky crow returned and sat on the fence between us and the sun but we knew he was there.  

The rules have been established, I believe,  territories identified, demarcations mapped out.

Comments