Metaphor for Futility

Now that I have set up camp on the table, I have paid close attention to 'sewing'.

The order of doing things seems to go like this: 
- cut paper (that usually brings about some swearing - off to a good start then!)
- smooth out some fabric put paper on top and pin it down
- unpin
- move the fabric a bit, shuffle the paper around 
- pin the paper down
- go round the paper with scissors
- remove pins (set paper aside with heavy weight on top to stop the fan shuffling it again - usually the scissors and she can't find scissors when she needs them again)
- put various bits of fabric together
- pin them
- go round them with a  needle towing a thread
- take the pins out
- go round the thread line with the sewing machine
- take the thread line out
- sometimes there's take the machine applied thread out and do it again as well
- do the whole process all over again with a different colour of fabric
- put the two colours of fabric together and pin 'em
- baste them (that's the needle and thread bit)
- unpin 'em........
..... and so on...

Are you starting to get the picture?

Can you see what it is yet?  

No, neither can I, but she has made a couple of these (in differing stages of completion.

Comments

  1. I can see that you are intent in stopping her work until you get a tickle, you little rascal.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, Tigger, you look like me - the odd time I do any sewing I sit for hours looking at it trying to work it out (only I don't sit on it at the same time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, the Tigger, find that sitting on it helps enormously.

      Delete
  3. Looks as though it's worth all that shuffle and kerfuffle. She's made a darn good garment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F reckons ironing is the answer to everything when it comes to sewing. Just press it again. I left all the pressing (and trimming and seam neatening) stages out of the shuffle and kerfuffle.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Crikey, Tigger, I'm a bit allergic to needle and thread and the thought of machines getting involved brings me out in bumps. My sister, though, she's like F and is actually doing a formal qualification in Quilting and Embroidery. Madness. (Says the wummin who uses a crochet hook and works thick threads called yarn into knots and will unknot as far back as it takes to make something that went wrong go right...)

    I have to say, F has very neat work there. Waistcoats are no easy sew. Is it for Mr B? Careful - I know someone who made such a thing for her cat... Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately F ain't keen on clothes on cats. She says waistcoats are a comparatively easy sew (compared to say a ball gown, or even a tidy business ensemble). I prefer crochet - it means sitting still for a long time, and is less bumpy (for me) than the knitting process. The 'uknotting' bit is fun isn't it? I like that bit. Furrings and purrings. Mr T

      Delete
  5. Oooh, this all sounds very familiar. My weekend sewing project has been through all those stages and is now about to go into the bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw- don't do that. Time resolves most sewing challenges (time spent sitting in the mending basket - no just joking - I sit in the mending basket but you don't have to.) F says try ironing it.

      Delete
  6. It’s the secret language of the crafter. The combination of shifting, swearing, mumbling and re doing things is just to keep the uninitiated unaware of the actual process of producing your final products lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made F laugh out loud. It's the mumbling that gets me. F's Dad reckoned that the purpose of kids was to take the blame, as in 'how did that hammer end up in the woolshed?' Well i reckon the cat has a similar role for absorbing mumblings.

      Delete

Post a Comment