Seen in Piraeus this Week


In an archaeological park in central Piraeus..

and
overhanging Aunty Pili's back wall.

F's been trying to explain 'tortoise' to me.  Apparently learning is about comparing new stuff to things you have already experienced, noting the samenesses and differences and cataloguing it in your brain accordingly.

Snail.

F says 'not snail'.

BUT..

It's slow.

It has a shell it carries about on top.

It withdraws into this shell when it perceives danger.

It eats vegetation.

And apparently it reproduces by laying eggs.

I still say snail.

The legs take a bit of explaining though.


Everyone we showed the photo to, just shrugged and seemed to think the tortoise was a perfectly normal item of wildlife - like seeing foxes (or snails) in the backyard at home in UK.  No big deal really.  

Well it was a big deal for us.

After that we didn't show anyone the bananas.

Comments

  1. Cat, meercat. Snail, tortoise. Well maybe not. Similar but not the same. She will have to take you to sniff it out.
    We have quite a few tortoises around here. I can hear them rustling in the dry grass sometimes. I always go and investigate.
    In ancient ruins, how wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dmitra, the concierge at work, told me the baby ones peep out from under flowers in the parks. She made a shape about the size of an adult human palm. They look easy to catch, but possibly a little difficult to break into. I'm not so keen on things that don't at least make a show of running away. Mr T.

      Delete
  2. Ps there's a banana palm where I used to work. It even had tiny bananas now and again. Very exotic, unlike tortoises it seems

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    MOL (meow out loud), Tigger, I love your take on the snail with legs. Well argued, I would say!!! MMMMMMMMMMM... home grown nanas.... hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll try and keep you posted on the bananas.

      Delete
  4. We used to have a tortoise that would cross our road twice a year. Must of had a summer and a winter home lol
    When ever we saw it we would help it across the road
    Haven’t seen in in years. I hope it wasn’t squish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon I (the Tigger) could get on with one of those. F says 1 pet in this house is enough and I'm generally inclined to agree. Nice of you to help your tortoise across the road - did you have dayglo vest and one of those crossing signs they use outside schools?

      Delete

Post a Comment