For Cathy...

 ...who suggested I might enjoy buttered Vegemite toast.

This project has taken some putting together. Remarkably, stationed in Greece as we are, Vegemite was the only ingredient we had available.  F had to go out and get some bread to toast.  That was not completely unusual, she sometimes buys rye bread on Saturday mornings. She eats it with roasted eggplant and garlic.🤭😾

Butter on the other hand has been unheard of in this abode since Mr B left in March.  F used butter for baking (in the days when she did baking), but she never ate the stuff on sandwiches or toast and these days it's all olive oil. 

So now there is toast (rye toast but who cares, its only a base for the butter isn't it?), and there is butter (Danish - is that sacrilege?), and Vegemite.

Experiment conducted and all I can say is "I've been had."  I was awakened by the smell of warm butter being wafted under my nose,  put out my tongue and took an extra long swipe at the  corner of toast being waved at me,  only to be assaulted by another flavour that was, well, that was foreign.  I spent ages licking my chops after that, but not in a way that was savouring the surprise; more sort of cleaning up the mess, making sure it  couldn't surprise me again later.

What a ruination of perfectly good warm butter!

Cathy is right - the memory will definitely stay with me.

Comments

  1. LOL Vegemite! You either love or you hate it :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might love it but F puts it on her toast with a plasterers trowel. Too much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    OOOhhhhhh.... you tease.... oh for some Vegemite right now... NOW I say...! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes Tigger it has to be ‘scraped on & scraped off again’ for pusscats to enjoy. My lovely ones ate the bread as well. Not wholes slices just little bits I pulled off just for them.

    Oh and if you ever object to being pilled tell F to just dip the tablet in the vegemite and it slips down very easily. And Tigger will be so busy licking his chops he’ll have forgotten about have his jaw prised open😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr B might be better adapted to preparing vegemite toast. He makes marmite toast that you can barely see the marmite on (F thinks he only pretends to like the stuff). F has remarked that one variety of treats she got for me (and which I devour eagerly) smells like vegemite; but she has never licked them to see what the taste is. She suspects those treats are why the smell of vegemite and butter made me put my half asleep tongue out so eagerly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hot buttered toast and Vegemite
    Add some cheese and it’s the perfect toasted sandwich
    Not too much as it’s very salty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment