Grappling Hooks

I was born with grappling hooks, all cats are.  They enable us to achieve things that would otherwise be reserved only to flies and lizards.

Over recent weeks I have watched a couple of mini-cats develop enough strength and confidence to scale concrete walls.  There are 'toe-holds' in concrete walls, even apparently smooth ones,  if you have small toes and built-in crampons and grappling hooks.  

It has been the feline version of 'Free Solo' on El Capitan.

You had to hold your breath for them occasionally, especially the one F called wee-bro-cat.  He would launch himself at the wall, stick like a lizard, and then inch sideways towards the ledge that had been his original goal.  The ledge was only attainable by a monster confident leap; to miss it would mean a three-story drop into the yard.  So for a mini-cat, free-solo technique was the only viable option.

F got tired of holding her breath and fishing stranded fallen mini-cats out of the back yard and putting them back on the retaining wall so she built a bridge from the retaining wall to the desireable ledge. That hasn't really advanced their education, but I guess they have learned the purpose of bridges instead. 

Even adult cats no longer make the confident monster leap.  F has in effect built a motorway through what had previously been a scenic beauty spot only capable of being enjoyed by travellers prepared to invest great personal effort. It would be like a road through the Hollyford Valley - sacrilege.

Never the less the bridge may have saved lives. At least one mini-cat disappeared before the bridge and we suspect a terminal drop into the backyard one night.  It was the mini-cat they rescued from the basement. It's fate apparently being to fall into things. There had been a clatter of falling stuff in the middle of one night and we looked out in the morning to see debris in the yard and never saw small grey mini-cat again after that.

MY grappling hooks have come in increasingly useful as my creaky limbs have, with advancing age, refused to lauch me to the top of 6 foot walls, or at the platform of my Condo. I can hook into and 'walk' up the sisal rope scratching facility. I do the same to furniture - much to F's annoyance. She put a box beside the bed for me, and I use it about 50% of the time. The mozzy net is a complication, but I have worked out that I can lift it near her feet and scramble up there without needing to prod her awake to open the net where the box is.

And here's the story really - last night I threw my grappling hook over the edge of the bed and pulled with the front, pushed with the back, scrabbled my way onto the bed.  I do this several times a night as I sleep all day and spend my nights communing with the darkness and keeping F regularly updated on happenings.  On this occasion F must have been sleeping with her right leg too close to the edge - it's all her fault - and I buried a 4-pronged grappling hook solidly into her right shin.

F kicked violently and I was more or less catapulted onto the opposite side of the bed. I had to dance around a bit to avoid being clobbered by flailing limbs and then purr in her face and pretend it wasn't me.......

This morning her leg looks like she has been bitten by a couple of vampires. I reckon that's what happened and I was just trying to see them off.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Could well be, Tigger - you do live in a furrin land after all - vampires lurk in furrin lands... or places where grapples are required. Montainous and all that... Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx (Who does hope that F has furgivven you and had some tea tree on hand...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it must have been vampires, but I now have tears in my eyes from laughing so much :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F actually laughed tears as she was writing that last bit. I think she imagined me flying across the bed when she kicked. She said she was aware of the sensation of fur round her lower legs (me dancing) and thought I'd deliberately stabbed her awake (i do that sometimes). It was only when she saw the pattern of holes that she worked out what must have happened. I still maintain 2 vampires.

      Delete

Post a Comment