Lake Vistonida, Thace (or Thraki / Θρακη).

So there i was staring out the window at the big swans with very long necks when F announced excitedly that she could see flamingos. I thought flamingos were pink - I HAVE seen them on TV, I DO know what flamingos are: concrete ornaments in kitsch gardens.
Rubbish picture of flamingos

Only moments before that we had stopped to contemplate water buffalos eating huge rushes and walking determinedly away from a man with a stick who seemed to want to round them up.


Herds of wilderbeest sweeping majectically across the plains........???


Then there were pelicans, and herons both white and blue... and a monastery on a small island in the lake connected up by a causeway. I have my  concerns about the dietary preferences of pelicans, with beaks that big and built-in shopping bags, they might be able to stow something cat-sized and I'd hate to be the one putting it to the test.  

Herons, however, I'm familiar with. We used to live by a stream, but you don't get pelicans and flamingos (or water buffalo) in small streams in Hampshire. (Monasteries either for that matter).

Right after all that excitement we passed through Port Lagos where a small ship was alongside. The people who live there are between wetlands and jackal crossings....

... between salt pans bounded by big white and grey piles of salt and orchards of pomegranates.

F eats pomegranate for breakfast. After she has finished bashing one to death, the place looks like a murder scene with red stuff splattered all over the place. I've inspected it closely, it's blood-red but there's nothing edible about it.
OK not an orchard but easier to photograph. They're a bit like Xmas decorations aren't they?

Part of our trip went along Nestos River valley. We were amazed to see signs that told people not to discard litter around here. That's something of a novelty but they might actually be working. I'm surprised my humans hadn't made a beeline for this place for kayaking on that river. Keramoti ferry port was the objective however and we unfortunately arrived at exactly the right time to drive onto a boat and leave. Boats disconcert me.  I squeezed myself onto the dashboard to try and see over the raised sides,  and managed to look sufficiently miserable to get placated with a treat.

  


Thassos, at the other end of the ferry ride, looks like a very big piece of marble covered in forest sticking out of seawater. Humans seem to be trying to make it into a smaller piece of marble.  There is lots of quarried marble. The steep little mountain streams are interesting though with blocks of washed white rocks tumbled down their beds.

I like white beds.



Comments

  1. Your having quite the adventure
    Enjoy and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    This all just so much to take in, Tigger. You are doing an amazing job of repawting from the front line; seeing all that wildlife does indeed make it seem as much a safari as anything! I am very familiar with ferries. I have to take one to get to and from the Hutch (and was on that very one yesterday, as it happens!). Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get licky treats on the ferry YAM-aunty? Furrings and purrings Mr T

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Well, truth be told Tigger, my sis and I had scampi and chips!!! (One of my rare and special forays away from vegetarianism...) Yxx

      Delete

Post a Comment