Butter

I like butter as much as the next cat, but F bought a jar of butter the last time we were at the butchers shop getting my chicken.

Butter in a glass jar.  Does that seem weird to you?

It was sheep's milk butter.  I don't much like sheep; I've never like eating lamb/mutton (raw or cooked), and I didn't like those bell-ringing woolly quadrupeds on Thassos.  Mr B said they were sheep (and goats - all the same to me).  Devils dressed up on woolly clothes and ringing bells!  Cloven hooves - I saw them.

Sheep's milk butter: in a word YUCK.  

It has the appearance and mouth feel of lard, and smells like, well, sheep.

'Normal' butter doesn't smell like cows.  It smells like butter.  And it is like silk on your tongue.

F is particularly pleased with herself because she has spent 2 years trying to work out what to use for lard in her Grandmother's recipe for ginger biscuits, and thinks this might be just the thing.

I'm prepared to bet her ginger biscuits smell funny (funny odd), but then ginger is pretty potent stuff.

We haven't tried it on hot toast yet, but I bet it doesn't go well with lemon curd.  Given that F eats toast with well salted bacon fat on it (yes she should be a candidate for a heart attack or stroke), she might be a convert, but Mr B and I will be sticking firmly to proper butter on our toast.



Comments

  1. We eat plenty of Sheep's milk cheese, but I've never heard of Sheep's milk butter. I don't really like the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are with you on the cheese. The butter is, well, weird.

      Delete
  2. I’m with you. I don’t know if I could eat it if it smells like sheep
    Let us know how it goes in the biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet they love goat and sheep milk cheese in this household and it smells just like that....

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...if I were to eat butter at all (cholesterol levels permitting) then I don't think that one would be on my list somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've read that Tibetans put Yak butter in their tea (as in cuppa chai). There are more butters in this world Horatio...

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... nope. My mind has been rolling sheep butter around my imagination for a wee bit and it still can't come at it!!! Do ask F to let us know how the baking goes though - maybe baking is all it was really intended for?! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice as much fat in sheep milk as cow milk, so butter and cheese from it kind of make sense, but it's really fatty butter.

      Delete
  5. Ooooeeeee!!! We have that abomination of so-called butter in our house now and again. Thank goodness last year we finally convinced the traditional Xmas biscuit maker to use Lurpak.
    It stinks of sheep. Why doesn't cows butter smell of cow? Darned if I know but keep away from those ginger biscuits.
    Won't good old vitam do instead??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Vitam lard or margarine? Grandmas biccies require a 'teacup of lard', and are all the better for it. Ive tried to translate that and asked butchers and supermarkets (in UK it comes in blocks like butter, wrapped up in paper, ans stacked beside the butter). I guess Greek diets are healthier because no one seems to understand what I'm after.🤪🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vutam is just Marg. I've never seen anything resembling lard. That butter, shudder, is worth a try.

      Delete
  7. Cow's butter is delicious LOL, but that sounds rather weird and not that nice. Perhaps it is what you get used to when you are growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried sheeps butter, maybe it could be good cooked in a pan with veges etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked fine in the sauce for cauliflower cheese

      Delete

Post a Comment