This is no ordinary marmalade....

My humans don't do marmalade for wimps.  The latest batch is concocted of sour oranges and bergamots - which has produced something they describe as 'scary'.  



Bergamots look like big orange(ish) lemons, and smell like Earl Grey tea

F said 'let it mature for a while'.  That seems to be her answer to any pickle or preserve with a challenging acid content.  Apparently it mellows.

That was yesterday.  Today I notice they are slathering it onto their toast.  Maturity clearly didn't take long.

I don't think they need this marmalade; they just seem to be short of 'constructive' things to do. - or the materials to do it with.  The basket of knitted things is now bigger than the box the balls of wool came out of. We have run out of scavenged materials for building permanent cat motels (well more permanent than cardboard boxes).  The garden has been gardened.  The beach has been litter picked.  The lockdown has tightened....

Sour oranges are free.

The balcony railings could be rust treated and painted, but at the moment Hughie (that's F Dad's name for the weather god, possibly also spelt Huwie) is loading the wind with salt and chucking it at us daily.  Not ideal painting weather.

It would be good weather for testing those kites, but shops selling stuff like 'kite spars' (whether fancy carbon fibre or plain old wooden dowels) are all closed at least until the end of the month.  F is eyeing the fabric appointed for the mega large one without even having tested the prototype...

Does this look like a shower curtain to you?

Mr B has been commissioned to make a net-making shuttle....

I have no idea🙄

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Hmmm does it resemble a tatting shuttle, me wonders? And that marmalade sounds okay... me having mature tastes. hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look lik this https://www.google.com/search?q=net+needle&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjW0LuTlOfuAhUz8uAKHcS-D50Q_AUoAXoECAMQAQ&biw=1280&bih=800&dpr=1.5#imgrc=lCciDOQyAj1RJM
      Fz & Pz Mr T

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Oh yes, of course I've seen these many times - just had one of those menosoup blanks!!! Yxx

      Delete
  2. We've got a bitter leom tree in the garden and downtown theyre all over the pavements. I think I just might make some marmelade with them. I add a good wallop of whiskey as I bottle the stuff. Helps a little. I made marmelade rock cakes with the grapefruit marmelade and then added a whole lot to an orange cake I made. Helps get rid of it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shh about the whisky. They've made 4 kinds already (including ginger). They need to move on. I'm thinking roast chicken practice perhaps. The butchers are still open. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  3. I have no clue where the shuttle is either I hope if he does make one you'll show us a picture and explain it to us and wow wow have you all been keeping busy. As for me I'm locked in but all I do is play on my devices and buy things on Amazon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F can't use Amazon - she can't use her card for anything but face to face purchases. That has meant big savings this year - more that she can afford to spend at the butchers (kreapoleio) i reckon. I'll keep you posted on craft experiments. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  4. Hello Tigger,

    Well, there certainly seems to be plenty of marmalade. It is comforting to know that your owners will not starve even if lockdown continues for months. However, what there will be for you by way of cat food....well, that is another question.

    We do so hope that the creation on the floor will be a kite rather than a shower curtain as we have a dislike of shower curtains. This perhaps stems from unfortunate incidents with shower curtains and a feeling that they never quite do the job properly. We do not have a shower and so avoid all possibilities of shower curtains but we would love to fly a kite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are glass doors on the human shower. There is a shower in my bathroom. I never use it of course, but it would need a curtain if i did.

      Delete
  5. The marmalade sounds intriguing
    We have been shut down for five days, so I’m back to looking for things to do
    Hopeful it will only be five days and I can get back to the yarn and quilt shops

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really a marmalade fan but my mother and her twin are huge fans of it, looks like the hoomans might be onto something with their ingredients though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment