Travel Writer Tigger - .... Nafplio

It is spelled NAUPLIO, but according to pronunciation guides in modern Greek U after E pronounced V and U after A is pronounced F.

So autokinito - is aftokinito  (that's car to you and me), and to avoid English speakers making idiots of themselves, Nauplio is transliterated into Nafplio - and then everyone understands where you are going on your road trip.  (And ships which would be things nautical in English, are naftika in Greek.) 

After lunch in Argos, our little aftokinito carried us off in the direction of Nafplio whence we arrived far too early to check into our apartment and my humans made the remarkable decision to go and hang out at a beach.  

Now there's a surprise!  

It is a surprise actually because it is unlike F to go on holiday and not have planned more days full of stuff to do than days to do it all in.  However, we parked in the shade of some eucalyptus trees and 'hung out' with all the car doors open and a gentle breeze sliding through like a silk scarf on bare skin (I can only guess what that's like but F wanted to put that in there - I try to imagine a silk scarf against my nose), just napping in the shade.



Our apartment was ready at 1700 and I had my diary full for the next hour or so doing my hotel inspector job.  It checked out OK:

White linen and towels (check)

Comfortable bed (check)

Big TV, anti-mozzy plug-ins, place in the bathroom for my pellet tray, (check, check & check)

We also had a decent sized courtyard described as a private garden, and it had stairs going up to street level, where the view across the road was of countryside and distant hills.  At the street the stairs turned back and went to an upper apartment which also deserved an inspection but every time I sauntered casually up the stairs a human would swoop on me...;  dash for the stairs, swoop; sit under the bike at the bottom of the stairs and pretend to be unconcerned by stairs, only to be swooped upon if I happened to be drawn in the direction of the stairs.


By the time I had exhausted all my manoeuvres for scaling the stairs, my humans had gone out for some food, brought it back, and eaten it sitting at a table in our courtyard, drunk some wine that miraculously appeared out of a box in the back of the aftokinito, and decided to sit on the step in the gateway at the top of the stairs and watch the sun set.  So I sat with them and watched it too. I had to forgive all the swooping, they had let me eat a whole tin of human grade tuna.  (I decline to eat tuna flavoured catfood, but savour the relatively few opportunities I get to eat the good stuff.)

Apricot

Rose Blush

Dusted Vermillion

Portrait in Pink Light

She does rubbish selfies....
After the sun had set we went indoors and tried to blog but the internet connection let us down, so I dictated and F scrawled notes that I will make her type up when we get home,

Comments

  1. Oh, I loved Nafplio when we stayed there. Gorgeous place.
    (I wrote a few blog posts about it ... https://nobodsdiary.blogspot.com/search?q=nafplio)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took better photos than my humans did so we direct anyone who comments on our fortress post tomorrow to your link above.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Mr T - you most definitely deserve the top grade Tuna, given the hyoomons were on the krasi! Never mind the swooping. Your digs sound perfect for your stay and what a view of the fading sun!!! I do hope you slept okay too, without having your hammock handy... hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always sleep just fine, and particularly so if my humans are around, or the hotel linen is crisp and white. Hugs and purrings Mr T

      Delete
  3. Totally awesome Sunset and worthy of your Royal Highness Tigger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had a lot of dust in the air, that always makes red sunsets here.

      Delete
  4. What skies - I have sunset envy! Here today it is far from rosie - blowing like only an Atlantic storm can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hear your island got a real lashing with wind this week. We had a strange dense and weirdly coloured cloud yesterday morning that poured over the Saronic Islands and oozed across the Gulf, but didn't seem to actually go over us. However at the end of the day the balcony was really dusty and the sweepings had little white flakes in them that looked for all the world like ash.

      Delete
  5. We all think you are so brave Tigger, we would be scared stiff to go in a car. Have a nice holiday.
    Rupert, Rowan, Princess, Willow and Mummy Polly
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guys - cars a great. They save an awful lot of walking, and are like a home place on wheels. I wasn't really keen on the beach the other day (a bit big with no cover) so just headed back to the safety of the car. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  6. Hanging out at the beach sounds good to me. Bunny loves Tuna too, she's our little manx, she's doing better now. The vet suggested we had bits of mashed pumpkin to her wet food daily to help her to be more regular and it's working nicely so she's back to her normal friendly self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really pleased to read that. Poor wee Bunny. F love mashed pumpkin, Tigger is not so sure about that.

      Delete
  7. Great subset photos. Didn't see anything like that over our way. Am enjoying your travelogue Tigger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning shots of the sunset

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment