Bits of kit - part II

Don't worry this won't become a theme. It's just that the one of the lesser used bits that could kill a cat if it fell on one came out of the cupboard yesterday.


Gem iron.

Gems are something that F's recipe books describe as quickbread. For 'quick bread' F prefers making muffins (Kiwi muffins, not English muffins). Gems are very buttery. I like the smell of them, but she doesn't make them very often. She also uses this thing for making Yorkshire puddings for Mr B, and it came out yesterday to fry her falafel in the oven. 

That was an experiment, and it appeared to work. I didn't see her chuck any food in the bin. 

She has to heat these up before the food goes in, and it's sort of frying itself with lots of sizzling sound even before she gets it back into the oven. I'm not allowed to get close because it is hissing and spitting.

Hissing and spitting are right up my street.  Falafel and Yorkshire puddings are not (although Yorkshire puddings usually are an indicator of roast meat to follow).

The scales in the background, a gift from a friend over 30 years ago,  are one of the newer bits of kit I wouldn't want to have fall on me.

You would think that with a set-up like ours we'd do well in a power cut. We don't. The wifi goes down and that brings the world to a standstill.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Oh I do love a bit of cast iron cookware... I LOVE my everything pot which is of the metal. I thought immediately of yorkshirepuds when I saw this! No question, though, that if one of these landed on a cat - or indeed a foot - there might be some highlevel singing for all of one's people... you are best to remain observer and not snooperviser on this one, Mr T. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a cast iron frying pan but F never uses it these days - she can no longer lift it with one had (wrists won't play along) and the black enamel coating doesn't appear to be made for induction stoves, so that one is taking up cupboard space until we have a wood burning stove again - and a gizmo to hook onto the other side to pick it up!

      Delete
  2. We were talking about Yorkshire puddings today with my English friend.
    I’ve never had them so she’s promised to make them for me one day, along with a full traditional roast. Yummm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't build up too much anticipation...It is an unsweetened batter 'fried' in a hot oven, and it puffs up. A Yorkshireman once explained Yorkshire Puddings to me as follows: It should be one large pudding, into which all the juice and fat from cooking the meat should be drained, and you eat it before the main course. It is designed, he said, to fill everyone up so that a small piece of meat goes further when you get to the main course.
      These days they are small and served with the roast itself (and In F's view desperately need lots of gravy to make them go down).

      Delete
    2. PS - don't be put off, F's distaste for them might be based in the fact her MIL only ever served supermarket Y Puds and they had the consistency (and flavour) of cardboard.

      Delete
  3. this is my first ever viewing of a gem iron, pretty cool as is that scale. you are right about those things to heavy to fall on a cat. i would not like the yorkshire pudding, since i really don't care for meat and the stuff that comes off meat makes me ill looking at it. bread of any kind puffy or not i can eat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often think about gems and wish I had also brought back my mother's gem iron. I might make them some other way. Give them a try to get them off my brain!
    However my mother's one was a completely different shape. Sort of a deep triangle. Not a good description but definitely not round.
    That is perfect for Yorkshire puds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have two sets of 'baton' shaped ones. You might be able to make them in a preheated set of muffin pans.

      Delete
  5. Mittens here. Your human has some dangerous stuff in her kitchen Tigger, so please be careful. I stay out of the kitchen most of the time simply because I get stepped on otherwise. Being walked on isn't much better than having something heavy fall on you!
    Many purrs, Mittens 😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F tried to make me stay out of the kitchen, but we settled on a compromise, as long as I stay on the floor I can go anywhere in the house. I agree that humans step backwards without looking and tails are often the casualty of that. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  6. I know exactly what gems are. I have my great grandmother's gem irons which are over 100 years old they make yummy little gem cakes too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment