This is a Cucumber

 This is a cucumber.

F buys the bent ones because they are half price.  There is no truth in the meme that circulated on the ether a while back that cats are scared of them.  What utter tosh!  Some cats might make a good game out of them, but I really can't see the point (other than to become a minor celebrity for being filmed jumping sideways at the sight of a cucumber).

This is also a cucumber.

Linda at Local-Kiwi-Alien put F up to these.  Greeks call them 'wood cucumber'.  Kiwi's apparently call them an Armenian Cucumber...  (Like Danes call Danish Pastries 'Vienna Bread' - go figure.)  Anyway, F loves them and they are back in season.  Sweeter, less 'wet' than a regular cucumber, and crunchy.  I know they are crunchy; I can hear her eating them.

This is also a cucumber (of sorts).

A wild one I believe. (Absolutely furious - I had to get that in there for Mr B, who would have added that line after anything described as 'wild'.  Go looking for a gorilla named Gerald on 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' for his 'inspiration' for that.) 

Well you have to admit it is spikey.

Amazing what you'll blog about if stuck at home with only the contents of the fridge and some loud crunching for inspiration.

Comments

  1. Agree with you about cats and cucumbers, we tried it with our 3 and they looked at us like we had 3 heads. I don't get all the fuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F never believed that meme either. We reckon the cats involved were the bored indoor kind the that had to make life interesting for themselves. They probably also jumped sideways at dirty socks (I mean who wouldn't?)

      Delete
  2. I’ve been trying to grow Armenian cucumber for years but the plants don’t survive their teens... and I have yet to even try eating one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be surprised if they could grow in your climate. We never saw them in UK either - you would probably need a greenhouse. They are worth it though if you can get one to thrive.

      Delete
  3. Our tortoise love her cucumber treats - and I have to say that an old fashioned cucumber sandwich with a little pepper is one of my favourites ! Oscar, however, is not so keen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Oscar. Cucumber is for tortoises (and people who like rabbit food). I prefer the rabbit, and strongly suspect Oscar would too; especially running.

      Delete
  4. well you may already know, i love this kind of post, it mimics mine a lot, there is not much I can't post about or maybe that should say will post about. I don't think I have used cucumbers though. i have not seen these types but I do love them. cucumber and mayo on white bread. oh yum... good to know cats are not afraid of cucumbers. there is a lot a lying going on by internet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats don't LIKE cucumbers. We just are not scared of them. I'd say indifferent. Did I manage to convey that in my photo poses? You humans and your sandwich contents are peculiar. What's wrong with meat paste, or ham? F Sticks her cucs in hummus - that's fairly indifferent stuff as well. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    I'm with Mark on the cucumber sammiches!!! I love cucumber and lament that here in the UK we are stuck with theTelegraph and nothing else. In OZ I adored the Lebanese variety... and APPLE cucumber - a purely Aussie variety. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In NZ we used to grow those apple cucs because they would grow outdoors in our climate. We originally used to grow a variety of long(ish) green ones with really tough skins - that you had to peel to eat. Telegraph when they arrived were a revelation. (Lebanese/Armenian - same group of 'asian' cucumbers according to my bro the horticulturist. So you know what we are talking about then.) When I lived in Denmark I was amazed to often see teenagers eating cucumbers like we might eat ice-cream - at the beach in particular. Theirs is not a culture that is generally cited for it's healthy dietary preferences.

      Delete
  6. I've just bought our first of the season. I love the crunchiness. My daughter and s in law eat loads especially with a few cherry tomatoes and a glass of cold white, local, sauv blanc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a meal F would enjoy - perhaps a little tin of tuna on the side for me....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment