Hanging 8

From November to May the humans around here were operating under something called a Lockdown.  During lockdown we went out for daily walks, bought the occasional takeaway ice-cream, sat on the rocks along our coastline - I even went with F to a couple of Tuesday laikis (produce market).

Since lockdown was 'lifted', shops have opened, cafes put tables and chairs outdoors, the 'lurkers' with their takeaway coffees disappeared from the headlands that embrace our inlet and locals have appeared on the rocks beside the water . Traffic has changed since humans can 'legally' stay out late (those all night cruise-about drivers cruise about all night, and sleep-in during the morning, so now it is quiet at 7am).

There are charter yachts in force out on the Gulf, and the late night dog-walkers have disappeared.

And I no longer get daily outings.

F says it is the heat; she says no one is going to walk 5km carrying a stout cat in this heat (I'll give her stout - she needs more training), and besides (she says) the heat would fry my brains if she did.

BTW her workplace distance challenge ended yesterday 102 people accumulating 38,225km in 90 days to take the team on a virtual tour of all their offices around the world, starting and ending in New York.  F contributed 1550 km.  She stopped cycling on 26 June and pronounced it 'too hot for that to continue to be a safe activity for her'.  She drips a lot.  She can hide the dripping if she goes swimming instead.

I don't go swimming so I am, in effect, in a lockdown created by heat.

*****

I'd just finished dictating this slightly moany post when I was swooped upon and backpacked off to the beach around sunset time. We spent a long time exploring and watching Panagiota paddling about trying out her juggling act while balancing on water.  The rocks were warm but the breeze was cooling.

So here's me doing 'Hang 8'.

Some big waves came rolling in (wake from a ship) and threatened to break over me but F airlifted me out just before I got to do surf stunts. I thought I'd handled it all very calmly considering my views on water.

Comments

  1. Much more clever swimming instead of exercise on dry hot land
    And going out after the sun goes down is the best. Not only cooler but no sunburn or heatstroke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    You are allowed to whinge from time to time Mr T - many of us need to let off steam from coviditionitis - not to mention heat exhaustion. I think you look totally at home on the paddleboard. Though keeping on the sandwaves rather than the water ones was probably sensible. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have seen many first for Cats on your blog, like riding in a back pack, stopping for coffee and shopping, riding on a train, and much more and now SURFING. wow! who knew cats could do all this. PLUS you know how to moan/whine. ha ha.... heat makes me whine a lot! Beau hates heat, a LOT.. F, you are right about the enormous bedroom. in all my 76 years living in a house, this bedroom is the biggest ever. our house only has 2 bedrroms, but the people who built it liked space and we have loved the space for 32 years now... they chose 2 big bedrooms over 3 smaller ones. that room has 2 dressers, 1 chest of drawers, 2 bedside tables and 2 chairs with dog bed and still lots of room to wander. tthe bed is the biggest we could buy because i can't sleep in any living person or pet touches me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe they could get you like a front pack sort of like what babies go in, then you could see the world again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got one - F refuses to carry me about in this heat. 39 deg C on our balcony (shady bit) on Friday. Since my moany post we've started going to the office two days a week.

      Delete

Post a Comment