Reassurance

We have been to the beach the last four evenings. I've found a little patch of sand between some rocks and adopted it as my new favorite place.  I make a little hole in the sand, moisten it a bit and fill it in again and then sit there a while breathing the heat off the surrounding rocks.

Friday evening we went down in daylight.  F sat on a rock beside me and together we watched the light drain from the sky and the 'Batty-Bat Aerial Stunt Team' gathering from 1 to 2, then 3 and finally 4 flicking about collecting their dinner. 

F casually told me they are 'flying mice'. Mice with wings? What freak of evolution decided that mice needed wings? They are hard enough to catch land-bound on legs.

They don't fly like birds - I'll give her that.

We sit for a while watching the city up above us: walkers, joggers, people on balconies, cars, motor cyclists heads (we can only see their heads). Someone further along the rocks lights a cigarette; we see the flare of their lighter.

Saturday was a different sort of day and we ended up going down well after dark. There were no bats, but we did get to watch F's Apricot Moon climb up into the sky, and contemplated the lights of ships and fishing boats way out on the sea.

After a little exploration I sat by F and leaned on her feet just to reassure her, and we sat in the dark for an hour two. Just sitting; looking out at stuff from our secluded little alcove.

Comments

  1. It is so good to see you up and about again Tigger. I really miss that comforting lean you and your fellow felines are wont to do….I’ve had some really good leaners as companions over the years and as I said, really miss that soft but firm reassurance

    I’ve been down to the beach recently and discovered I didn’t look quite as ‘young and beautiful’ as I thought I did. Bit like the sun showing all the dust on the furniture……it showed a lot of living had been done to my face 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Furniture collects dust without moving, whereas faces develop their patina because of the life they've lived, because of the dust they've collected and washed away (or left ingrained). We saw your post and reckon you have a lot to be proud of. Mr T & F

      Delete
  2. What a picture of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to get some humans to sit still long enough to appreciate that sensation.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It kind of is - we need to remind ourselves of that from time to time. We used to do this lying on the lawn in our backyard, looking at the dark sky, and breathing the grassy air. Same exercise - different smell I guess. Ask Mittens about it - I'm sure she sits out in the dark sometimes just sampling the breeze. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. I try to be a sweet cat from time to time, just to keep the humans on the hook you understand. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    ...aaaahhhhhhhhhh.. a post that made me breathe deeply and slow my heart rate. Ta Mr T! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that - wait till you see the next post. Furrings and deep breathing, Mr T

      Delete
  6. I have no idea if my comment posted, i am wearing old glasses because they mailed mine off yesterday to get new lens. i hit a wrong button and the comment disapeared. if it is there, don't publish this one. doing what you did with Tigger is my most favorite way to calm myself, when I lived alone, the beach in the evenng with lapping water and gentle waves, calls of birds calmed my inner spirit. my other comment was better but now it is gone from my head. the only thing that keeps my sciatic nerve from hurting is 4 of those excerises done on the bed, 5 days a week. if for some reason i skip those, it is back. each excerise i do is for a certain thing. even sitting in a chair and pumping arms up and down will help fight arthritis and age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity there aren't effective exercises like that for eyes - F glasses seem to get stronger on an annual basis. And the way her sciatica attacks from time to time she might be on her bed doing your daily exercises before too long. Keep pumping those arms....xxx Mr T

      Delete
  7. Can you hear me laughing???? just watched the video. what a surprise at the end. hilarious and fits the joke i found perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How blissfully relaxing that would be
    I’m glad you stayed close to your mummy she needed protection from those flying mice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to need protection from herself this week - she's been moping. I think we'll both be in a better place when the pills are gone and she's not checking my toilet habits 24/7

      Delete

Post a Comment