Chilies

Two summers ago it was Jalapeno and Santa Fe.  Last year Jalapeno and Habanero.

This year F's gone made and grown Tabasco, Serrano, Pimiento de Padron and something called a 'bird-beak' in Portuguese.

Ripe Serrano
Single Tabasco
A tiny bird beak
Jalapeno

The serranos are prolific and the plan is to eventually turn them into a fermented hot chili sauce.  The tabascos are huge plants with a tiny crop of tiny chilies that stick straight up.  Night time temperatures are apparently crucial to chili flowers setting chili fruit, so it hasn't been until our overnight temperatures started dropping below the 30's (C) that we began to see fruit on the anything but the serranos.

Prolific serranos

The Spanish (Padron) tapas chilies grew spindly and aren't handling well this season of breezes off the sea and the dear little bird-beaks are just this week beginning to set some chilies.  They are only millimetres in size (zoom helps).

I don't know why humans eat such things.  They are positively dangerous. Even F refused to use the Habanero and only grew them 'decoratively' because Mr B bought the seeds.  However one of her work colleagues pounced on them and later pronounced them to be 'excellent'.  They are ugly though aren't they?  Ugly with hot tempers.  Even their own mothers would struggle to love them.

Drying some Jalapenos

After all this growing and nurturing, F decided Jalapeno are her chili of choice.  They are good sturdy bushes with lots of pretty chilies, and not too dangerous to put into the occasional dish of human food.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    is it wrong that I was drooling whilst I read this? I do enjoy a good fresh chili. I used to grow my own, back in OZ. I guess I could try it in the Hutch's bay window... Definitely nor cats, I agree, but a wee bite of the hot stuff for us humans is perfectly good - WEE bite, remember... hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - reply is working again. We would send you some but they wouldn't be fresh by the time they reached you. We could walk from here to Scotland faster than the postal service. F's been waiting for a bank card posted in UK several weeks ago..... and still waiting. Furrings nad Purrings Mr T

      Delete
  2. We tried to grow them once but our season is far too short and there just was not enough sun for long enough. I am happy to buy them fresh from the grocer or the dried flakes seem to work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr B used to grow them outdoors at our Hampshire home in UK, on the sunny side of the greenhouse. Get your seeds from these guys https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/
      and they probably have something that suits your climate - particularly if you have a nice warm patio at your exotic new home ...

      Delete
  3. they look pretty but in our house no chilis are allowed. hot things take my breathe away, and my mouth will burn for hours. the only peppers we eat are the green, red and yellow belle peppers, they are sweet. we also don't use any spices, salt, pepper, he eats onions but not me, and butter or bacon is it for seasoning. forgot garlic as long as it is cooked in something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My humans wouldn't survive in your house - you should see their spice rack! Although to be fair mostly F uses cinnamon, and tumeric, and cumin, and cardamom, and coriander - none of which have any heat. She puts cardamom in the coffee... She also eats a lot of those sweet peppers; long pointy red ones.

      Delete
  4. Be careful Tigger. Those horrid burning things are not nice, even smelling them can be upsetting. I always give them a wide detour. Leave them well alone!
    Purrs, Mittens 😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mittens I know it. You don't even want that stuff to touch your paws in case you wash your face afterwards. I have no idea what humans see in it. xxx Mr T

      Delete
  5. Not a chilli girl - like curries and some spicy dishes but not hot hot hot ones. I know when they’re added as my lips swell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F doesn't like hot hot hot either - which is why jalapenos are about as hot as she will permit in the kitchen. The fermented serrano sauce this year is going to be a bit of an experiment after she saw a recipe on t'internet. She has colleagues who will consume it with .... well with anything it seems.

      Delete
  6. yummmm I havent' grown chillies before but over lockdown I've been cooking many Vietnamese and Japanese meals as it's my favourite type of food, some of them call for using chillies so I will probably give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many kinds - choose your chilies carefully!

      Delete
  7. I used to love eating hot chillies. Now I can’t. It upsets my digestive system
    And give me horrendous heart burn
    But it is nice to grow things and have a great crop to share

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment