How do you paint or photograph a smell - map of my route to work...

On the way to work yesterday we mapped one street we use by its smells:

At 9am the bakery is blowing hot freshly baking bread smells out the vent from its kitchens.  Humans seem to like that smell.  It is the sort of smell that tells me things are happening in the kitchen and there might be some bits that fall onto the floor for a cat.  It is not however suggestive of roast chicken but I live in hope whenever I see the light on in the HOT BOX.

Beside the bakery is a Steki (cafe, ouzo, food) where locals hang out and wave at me passing in the evenings.  The girl putting the chairs outdoors in the mornings always greets me, and the heavy smell of incense wafts out of the bar.

Round the corner past the shop with eggs and cleaning products (does anyone else think that is a slightly strange combo?) there is a tyre fitters.  There is the unmistakable stink of new tyres.  It doesn't surprise you does it that cats and dogs feel a deep need to 'freshen the air' around that smell wherever we encounter it - most notably of course tyres of parked cars.

Across the road is a fruit shop.  Today it smells of water melons piled up by the door.

Past the derelict building that smells of old building, of dust, damp, mold.... and on to where the same two old boys are sitting every morning chain smoking at a small table outside a funeral directors office.  In the queue perhaps?

At the end of that block is the butchers.   F can't smell that so well but it makes my nostrils flare as we pass.  Diagonally opposite is a shop dedicated to cheese.  There is something slightly fascinating and simultaneously repulsive about the smell of fermented milk curd, and being on the side of the street that we use on the way home it is the one that gets F's nostrils flaring.

From here the density of cafes increases with the smell of fresh warm pastry, hot pites (pies), and the wafts of coffee.  Our progress is interrupted by the cafe owner who dashes out every morning to greet me.  Yesterday he kissed me - yuck!

Outside a cafe further down the hill 4 old guys in a cloud of eye-watering cologne are clustered about a table nursing their expresso coffees.  A bus goes by and belches out a cloud of Diesel exhaust fumes.  Across that intersection is a fish shop.  We hurry on by; neither F nor I like fish.  Hardware shops and electrical appliances  don't contribute a lot of particular interest to the smell map, but the next block has got a hairdressers and beauty parlor.  You can smell those when the door opens and a freshly dressed coiffure struts out; and there is that underlying whiff of nail polish chemicals.

Just beyond there we were assaulted yesterday by the scent of jasmine but couldn't identify the source; a balcony above the street maybe?

We cross the BIG street at the bank.  Banks might have a distinctive smell but they keep it closely guarded; locked in.  From that point on it is really more of the same: bakeries, cafes, another tyre place, pharmacies, a service station forecourt, a few residential doorways that are too close to nightclub exits, and traffic fumes.

And we finally arrive at work where the foyer smells of whatever they use to polish the marble.  Sitting in the office with the doors open to the balcony we are occasionally assailed by the smell of marine fuel combustion as a ferry makes it way out of the port, and at lunch time the smell of cooking fish from the restaurant downstairs.

It is quite a map and F wonders whether I could find my way home using just that.  Of course I could - and those are just the smells she can smell; I have so, so, so many more plotted out in my mind map of our neighbourhood.

Comments

  1. Reminded me of so many other smells here. I tried to imagine which route you were taking to the office. Smelling as I went too. Lovely post Tigger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down Sachtouri and along Filonos to Defteras Merarchias. (We live in Skafaki and the easiest route over the hill on foot with a Donkey is up to Agios Vasilios and down Sachtouri.

      Delete
  2. Your walk is quite the assault on your smelling sense
    Some of those smells would be lovely but others I could definitely pass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to be a bit delicate... the city does have some smells you don't happen upon in Oz or Kiwi towns (of feline origin primarily). Either they are getting less bad or we are going nose blind; they don't seem to be as bad as they once were.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed that wander through your neighbourhood. I am sure I could find my way now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee every corner has a cafe, a bakery, and a hairdressers. F accidented upon a Sundays and holidays bakery nearby when we moved here (nearby as in with 6 blocks or so) and never found it again!

      Delete
  4. Dearest Tigger, it sounds like F has the same nose I have, all of these are smells I would smell if following your scent map. the bread I would love but most of these smells would make my nostrils flare. I call it my curse that I have a Lab nose, maybe its a Tigger nose, but you are right. Beau can smell things I don't, like lizard trails and critters in the dark. murphys law kicked in and in my Old age, I developed Scent allergies and a lot of these scents on your map would make me feel ill. I can smell each thing you had F type for us... great post and now we know what you see and that you get kisses when on the way to work, I can SEE what you see

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    That was most picturesque, Tigger m'dear... and I followed you closely all the way. I could smell every smell, sniff every sniff and I am certain I too could find my back to your place from this nose map! Hugs and wiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment