Rafting and a Beech Marten

Nope I have not been on water, nor, fortunately have my humans (although I wouldn't have put it past them had I not been there to be the voice of reason 



It was a day out that started with a gentle sun-drenched stroll beside a river that actually had some water in it.  There was deciduous forest along this river so the photos are colourful and the light dappled.







After finding an untrammelled place to sit for a while, with only the gurgle of running water to form the backdrop to our soundscape, F started to bury me in fallen leaves. Her game was interrupted however when Mr B announced he had seen a 'fish' jump.

My humans spent the next half hour or so watching a small swimming animal scuttling about in and out of the water, fishing, eating fish, preening, going swimming again.... 

It was on the other side of the river and disguised in the shadows until it lifted its head and the white on its chest and throat bobbing up and down reflected on the mirrorlike water in the calm part of the river bend and among tree roots.

F said 'mustelid' which turned out to be sort of right (in a generic kind of way). It was too small to be an otter.  Do stoats swim she asked? On the way back to the van she suddenly said "pine marten". T'internet is a marvellos thing is it not? Before we had finished our picnic, my humans had decided we'd seen a beech marten.

It was too well disguised in the shadows for us to photograph.  Here is a t'internet photo we gave borrowed from Wikipedia

Photo from Wikipedia
They sure know how to do cute.....  (and have enviable tails) 

It was across the river here, in the deep shade of the river bank.


Oi - I'm the main attraction here!

(PS and we saw the remnants of yet another stone bridge)


Comments

  1. Hari OM
    ...ooohhh I thought Beech (aka Stone) Martens were terrestrial and nocturnal... are we 100% certain it wasn't Lutra Lutra (Eurasion Otter)? Either way, that was exciting for your peeps, even if it did mean you lost the spotlight for a wee while there!!! I have to say, that is a truly beautiful spot for a sit and ponder... and I had nearlyu asked about the potetial for rafting for your peeps when I saw it marked on the map given earlier!!! hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did think otter (because of all the swimming around) but it looked too small, and we have seen quite a few martens squashed on roads - apparently their numbers have exploded since they have ceased to be important to fur trade. Xxx F & Mr T

      Delete
  2. Tigger My Love, you are ALWAYS the main attraction here and everywhere you go.. you even got the hotel to let you stay where no pets are allowed. tell your people to watch out for cat nappers, and I don't mean sleepers.. these are the most lovely peaceful places and make me wish i was sitting staring at them beside you... that little marten is adorable.. if i were a camping out type person, this is where i would pitch my tent. i prefer a small log cabine with a porch... which is what we be good where you were

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F is the log cabin type. Mr B likes his comforts. I like fireplaces. We did all like our little rest in the sun by the quiet river though.

      Delete
  3. How cute is he I too would of spent ages just watching him play
    How lucky to have spotted him

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen those little creatures before, at first I thought it was a type of possum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment