Monoscope

Mr B brought a package back from England last week, and I sat on the lounge room floor and supervised while he unwrapped it and set up a gizmo with three legs on it.  There was lots of adjusting up and down and in and out then another package got unwrapped and something got attached to the top of it.

F said the whole set-up made him look like a twitcher.

What's a twitcher?

Twitcher: INFORMALBRITISH  a birdwatcher whose main aim is to collect sightings of rare birds.

Mr B looks at things on the sea.  He seems to like reading sail numbers on small sailing dinghies ever so far away.  Cats have great eyesight for things that are within catching range (things we could catch, things that might catch us), but the distances he is peering into go way beyond anything I am interested in. 


Now my humans are dragging me up onto the roof after dark and peering into the dark void overhead.

Seriously?

There is nothing up there.  

OK, a few aeroplanes, the moon, fairy dust.... planets with moons apparently.  In light of the fact that a James Webb telescope is making its way into space to look at light that comes from about 13.4 - 13.8 billion years ago, I suspect it will come as news to no one that my humans can now see that one of the other planets in our solar system has its own moons; i.e. light from about 8 and half minutes away.

Our own moon

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    oooohhh,.... now you gave me cause for envy again, Tigger ol' chap. My beloved telescope never made it back from OZ to the Bonny Land and I have never had the time, (nor to be frank, the $$$) to replace it. I was a very keen amateur astronomer, being involved with the OZ branch of the National Space Society, a volunteer at Sydney Observatory (where I also studied with Prof Nick Lomb on matters pertaining specifically to our own solar system) - and I even got to meet a few blokes who walked on that gorgeous satellite of the earth...sigh... I hope Mr B and F have many, many happy astrological moments - and that you will repawt upon them as diligently as you do their other activities!!! Hugs and whiseries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are nowhere near as devoted or knowledgeable as the experiences you report. The scope was mainly to replace some cheap binoculars for looking at stuff on the sea. It isn't really a planet gazing puece of kit, but they took it onto the roof a couple of nights to see what could be spotted over our light pollution. They have been to Kielder a couple of times and siad that was pretty special. It's not so very far from you. Furrings and purrings Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keilder is near me too and I would love to book to go to the Observatory. I have just looked and they are taking bookings, but pretty booked up. I shall have to see if I can do it when my little great niece comes to stay again.

      Delete
    2. Some of their booking times are aimed specifically at young humans. F and Mr B went one night when there were clouds and everyone trailed indoors for a presentation in the lecture 'hall'. A chunky portable telescope had been set up outdoors on the decking and remained there and F and Mr B were standing around talking to a couple of the volunteers when the cloud suddenly cleared and they spent the rest of their evening getting a private viewing as the volunteers spun the focus this way and that excitingly exclaiming' look at this' and 'look at that'. They reported viewing nebula and stuff like that - just as colourful and exciting as the pictures you see. We believe all sorts of new and clever stuff has been added since we were there, so you are bound to love it.

      Delete
  3. I use my zoom on my camera, good for across the street to read tag numbers and see where all the cars are from, or what kind of dog is sitting in the car. My beloved Canon Rebel with the LONG lens died, it was good for reading names on sailing ships from shore. all of you have fun and be sure to report and amazing things the telescope shows you. the camera you have got and amazing moon shot... happy Gazing Tigger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh I’d love to be up on the roof looking at celestial bodies
    But it’s way too hot here to be out there anytime right now
    Besides. The stars come out way past my bedtime lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see someone arguing for the acquisition of a better camera now. The phone ones are good but lining them up with the scope is really hit and miss - even with the fancy mounting thing that is meant to hold them in place. The best photos were achieved by lining it up by hand....

      Delete
  5. Your humans will be having fun with their new hobby.....once the clouds go away!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you wave at Piraeus they might be able to see you.(!)

      Delete

Post a Comment