Smoked Mackerel

Stripy - always a good thing.

It has been making our fridge odorous - not such a good thing.


It has taken my humans 4 years to work out that a food they eat a lot of in UK is also a feature of Greek cuisine. The difference seems to be that English mackerels are hot smoked (so cooked), and Greek ones cold smoked (so like eating smoked sushi).

I am advised that either way it is splendid on a piece of toast.

F buys them whole then fillets them and removes the skin - which if done well removes an outer layer like tough plastic and leaves the stripes behind.

My feline cousins downstairs get the skin and tail and backbone. I have yet to be convinced that ANY of it is edible.

Comments

  1. Mmm that's the best Tigger. Your cousins here fight over it. We humans have it with beans, lentils, chickpeas, all that stuff humans think is healthy. And if you mash it up with potatoes you can make a bloody good dip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stinky fridge is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Ooh, Tigger - would you prefer 'nekked' mackeral instead? D'ya know, vegetarian though I be, since returning to the Bonny Land, once or twice year I succumb to the call of the sea and will break sattva to take some seafood; and one of the things that does make my mouth water is smoked mackeral. Hot-smoked mind. I have never tried the Greek version... hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you Tigger, not edible to me. I like my fish to NOT taste like, well, fish. I only eat non fishy fish.
    since smoked salmon is allowed with IBS I bought a small tin and managed to gag it down but the taste would not leave my tongue. I brush teeth and then ate a pickle and swore off smoked salmon for life. the fisher the fish my daddy loved it. he ate sardines and mackerel and salmon all things my brother and I would not touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm I can taste it from here
    I agree the smell in the fridge isn’t pleasant, so that just means you need to eat it quick 😝

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment