Dragonfly

He/she/it alighted on a bamboo stem sticking out of one of our plant pots.  F sneaked up on it clutching her phone and desperately trying to adjust the zoom and work out if the pictures were focused (without her glasses everything in the F's world between her face and the end of her outstretched arm is foggy, indistinct, soft focused).  In the end she just took 100's of photos using continuous shot.

She tried to get the distinctive little body set against a plain background - cream buildings across the street, beige blinds - but the best angles to get a suitable background didn't always have the best light.  It needed light to show off the delicate little wings, the veining, the yellow patches on the leading edges.

It was only when she was doing the vicious 'delete' thing on dozens of surplus photos that she realized a Tinkerbell style fairy had visited our balcony garden, so here are a few more photos of our Saturday visitor:





We went to the beach around sunset and enjoyed feeling a little less hot. 

Keeping an eye on that cat trying to sneak up on us

Comments

  1. They are such delicate creatures. We used to get damseflies around the pond in our previous garden. A beautiful iridescent greeny blue colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are super photos. Persistence pays off. (I am a terrier and I know all about persistence...)
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it does look exactly like tingerbell. these are truly amazing and they were what I call blind shots. using the cell outside, i can't see the screen and wildly snap. when I took the roofer phtos did the same thing. each one of these is perfect. I just found the comments you made about the plant being added to a japanese back ground in spam and published them. its a great idea and might try it soon. feedly and blogger are conspiring to make me crazy and missing out on comments and posts. plus our blogs are missing from feedly and my comments have dropped to 1/2. Tigger you look so sweet with your paw hanging down and admiring the beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    OH yes, when I saw that shot the other day I was seeing an angel/ballerina/mermaid... just beautiful! Well done to F for keeping at the keeping on of getting photos. I paid off. Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good closeups, I'm never quick enough to get photos of insects, they are too fast for me but the cats seem to be able to catch them, just the wrong way. In answer to your comment about murals around Greymouth, there are still a few around and I have some in my archives to go through, hopefully they will last long enough until we go to Christchurch on the Tranzalpine next Winter then I get take photos of more then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dragonflies are lovely little creatures. We used to get lots but no so many these days.
    Hopefully with the dam out back finally full of water they’ll come back again. They mate over water apparently. Not sure. I’ll have to Google
    I’ve seen some lovely coloured ones in the past

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. Especially you Tigger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was watching one this afternoon when I was out walking with my friend. Always a treat to see one. Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment