Fresh Cut Grass

Dear Readers, my humans have been conspiring and Mr B dragged me off to the V-E-T again.  The news is that although tests done on my stolen blood last week show that I am in very early stages of kidney decline, they emphasized VERY early and not surprising given my age. 

So early in fact that it doesn't exlain my loss of appetite.

Ha - I told them that rumours of my impending demise were exaggerated.  Everyone is stressing about my appetite (or lack of it), but old humans get a bit disillusioned with food too (Mr B senior declines to eat after midday - and he is fading away somewhat.  We are both approaching 90 human years in our own ways.)

Besides I AM NOT FADING - I am simply not as active as I once was, and I believe that I deserve to be permitted to nap in a deckchair in my senescence.  I have done my turn of supervising gardening and allotmenteering, driving gardners' van's, rodent control, office management, travel consultant, and yoga instructor.  I am enjoying some sunbathing - and who can blame me?  This is retirement Tigger-style.

I am allowed to sit and stare - I have earned it.  I expect my food to be delivered to me every hour or so for a small snack; I can't be bothered going to the kitchen that often for food and I don't like eating more than a snack at each sitting (I never really have).  I just need devoted humans to wait on my whims.

F and I went to the allotment this evening so that F could tell herself she's doing ok up there. Maybe she is doing well but there is bindweed coming up like hair on my back.  It was peaceful and fresh smelling (we had a small rain event yesterday).  We had a paws (and bums) on the ground time. We have those most evenings in our backyard at this time of year, but the allotment feels different somehow .... wilder, closer to  nature .... something unexpected around most corners.

In places the grass is much longer and hides things.

There are wrecked compost heaps and dense bushy hedges.

We saw the fox.

We heard a blackbird singing.

We came home with F dragging her feet through the drying grass, mown into stripes on the heath. That smells of summer and warmth. Who doesn't like a cut grass smell?


Comments

  1. Hari Om
    That sounds closer to cut grass resembling hay- which is indeed one of the joys of summer. You are taking the stance of aging gracefully, Tigger dear; well done for that and thank heavens for attendant hyoomons! Hugs and whiskeries YAM-aunty xxx (Who has her sister here for a couple of nights with a veiw to getting further along on preparing The Grey...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing pretty well, conducting your retirement appropriately. You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a cut grass smell Mr T but, oh boy, that pollen gets right up my nose!
    Good to hear that you are still your old self and keeping F and B on their toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Retirement Tigger-style'. not 'fading'. You have explained it so well Tigger. Gail cut her grass this afternoon, undeterred by my incessant barking at the evil mower...

    ReplyDelete
  5. we love cut grass smells and because of the drought, there is no smell when Bob cuts the dead/dying weeds. I am happy if you are happy and will send you all the POTP I can whip up with 4 paws and 2 hands and a few crossed fingers. enjoy your lay about. Bob and I are doing what you are doing, and so is Beau. Beau is apporaching 80 in a few months because BIG dogs like danes, it is 8 years per human year. so they will be 80 and 87 3 weeks after I turn 79... old is our song

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad they are doing the tests and looking after you.
    It’s all part of getting older I’m afraid. The decline of Health. Not enough to cause the final demise but enough to be niggly and annoying.
    Let the humans spoil you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck entering the new phase of your life Tigger. ‘They’ say that with age comes wisdom….also time to enjoy a general slowing down to smell the roses lifestyle.
    Another smell to rival that of a newly mown grass is the one of approaching rain on a warm day - that certain odour in the air - of water and dust mingling is something I don’t remember experiencing anywhere else but here in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Tigger, take each day as it comes (what a silly expression that is!) At your age you are allowed to please yourself and be a little contrary at times. Keep on enjoying the sun and the favours of your devoted servants. Cut grass - I love that smell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will have to write your memoirs Tigger. Tales of an allotment cat?

    ReplyDelete
  10. F doesn't think she is up to transcribing memoirs just yet. (Too much gardening to catch up on.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww Tigger hopefully is kidneys go for alot longer, all four of my cats are enjoying the warm fire, all in their various positions in the lounge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment