Ink and Quinces

Knopper galls are jolly hard little lumps.  I spent part of Sunday morning smacking them with a lump hammer, and then trying to grind the pieces into something like a powder between a brick and a slab of concrete.

What I got was a few very course ‘coffee’ grounds and a lot of very polished lumps of knopper gall.  They do polish up quite nicely.

Gall ink recipes call for water, gall powder, iron salts, and gum Arabic.  Some recipes are quite sophisticated and ask for ferrous chemicals with classy names, and others simply suggest adding a handful of rusty nails.  I prefer experiments that can be conducted with the stuff already laying about the place, so I went for the handful of rusty nails.  There is no shortage of those from when the lad was busting up pallets around here. 

Boiled and strained (couldn't decide which photo to use.....)

Later I read a suggestion to use (as the iron component) steel wool that has soaked a few days in vinegar – now that too sounds doable with stuff you find under the sink or laying about the workshop.

Gum Arabic on the other hand is not something I have just casually occupying a corner under the sink.  I wonder what Mediaeval scribes used before gum Arabic came their way – ox bile or something equally unlikely to be found in my 21st century kitchen….  (Oh goodness I just g**gled ox bile and discover it really is a thing in 21st century lifestyle!)  Anyway it is not found in my kitchen or workshop or allotment shed.  

More g**gling – talk about going down a rabbit hole – ancient scribes used to use honey, but cornstarch, whipped egg-whites, or gelatine might work. 

By the way ox bile never was on that list of ink thickeners. I just tried to imagine something weird, and unobtainable, in modern life – and failed.

This year I picked the quinces BEFORE they fell on the lawn. Quinces, even when ripe are also ‘jolly hard’.  (They do not, however, polish up nicely.)  When cut, they oxidize in a nano second, and it takes more than a lot of nano seconds to work your way through a bucketful turning them into chopped quince ready for cooking.

You can just see the brown reflected inside the pot

Fortunately the boiled up result is less ugly than the pot full of browned quince pieces.  On cooking they explode into ‘fluffy’ quince pulp  which I have ’bottled’ (our word for canning in jars) for winter use in pies.  The next bucketful will be turned into Membrillo.  

Quinces are far from qualifying as the world’s most delightful fruit, being gritty textured and sour, but their fragrance is wonderful and they do make an excellent preserve that is guaranteed to set.  And we have an ample free supply of the ’orrible things.

Waste not, want not.  Frankly, I'd not want for quinces if I had none.


Comments

  1. Membrillo is something that I only ever eat when on Spanish soil. It just seems to taste better there.
    You are going to have to write all your Christmas cards using that gall ink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who writes Christmas cards these days? Actually I might get all old fashioned and paint/draw the cards in ink wash....

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Yeah, quince is a bit of an acquired taste... but food is food, right? The ink looks good in the bottle... I am guessing the cornstarch was the option you went with? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't gone with any thickener yet - still contemplating what happens to the brew and whether to add more steel wool solution as I'm not convinced the handful of rusty nails had the desired effect.

      Delete
  3. I've never had quinces, none available, no quince trees, for some reason. So they're a culinary mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly - you haven't missed out on anything, but to be fair they do make a better than acceptable jelly for putting on toast. (These days I don't make anything that uses that much sugar - Mr B being diabetic....)

      Delete
  4. VERY Interesting about the ink and supplies needed, and now I want to know just what you will do with this ink. Do you write letters? using an ink pen? As for Quinces I looked them up since it is new to me and they are much like the sour pears my Dads friends had. they were only good for preserves or cooked to mush with lots of sugar and spices, like applesauce. it is great you can bottle just about anything you find, there may come a time when you can charge people to teach them how to survive in this world that might be crashing around us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few people want to learn those skills Sandra, and those who do get all evangelical about it as if they have discovered Tutenkamen's Tomb or something that none of the rest of us knew about. If I am honest, freezing them is so much easier but at least with some in jars I don't have to wait for them to thaw out if I want to make something in a hurry.

      Delete
  5. You are joking right? Who pays that? Most places I have lived (including Greece) you can't give quinces away. Like the lemons over there anyone who had them had excess and couldn't wait to drop a bag on your doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a lot of ink. I imagine it being sepia when plonked onto paper. Pen and ink drawings - I can just see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! It's ink! I thought for a moment it was to treat iron deficiency! A bit like Spatone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might do that too but I can't vouch for the flavour.

      Delete
  8. About the only thing I’ve heard of is quince jelly.
    I’ve not thought about pies.
    Not that I come across quinces that often.
    They sound like they’re excellent for adding to other fruit to help them set
    I’d (Google) their pectin properties but I fear that rabbit hole lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still trying to work out what it is you're beating the heck out of to get the ink but I do recognize the quinces, I got told by someone that you have to boil the life out of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about quinces is that they are like Pukekos - you boil them with a rock, when the rock is tender you throw away the Pukeko and eat the rock. No seriously, the ones I have got explode into fluff - like cooking apples. Go back a post or two and read about knopper oak galls.

      Delete

Post a Comment