Little India and a Quiz

Deepavali 2023 is 12 November....

Little India is 2 stops on the MRT (mass rapid transit) beyond my apartment on the way home from work.

I'm made up. 

Tigger would have loved it from the deck of his carriage.

So much colour. So much good food. So much unpackaged, choose your own, buy as much or as little as you need/can afford. Garlands of fresh flowers. Scent. Spices. Preparations being made for Diwali. Decorations.



With the lights on but probably better when 'proper dark'

Round the next corner a street of jewellers and colourful clothing emporiums. Stunning Nehru jackets outside one shop, saris the next, more garlands, heady scent drawing honey bees.

You might want to turn the sound down for these.

It was the food I came for, so it was mainly the food I photographed. Yam Aunty will blitz the quiz, I might just scrape in a pass mark, but I have already been befriended by a shopkeeper lady who has offered to guide me around the rest - names, how to select them, how best to eat them, preparation, recipes..... I wonder if she does that for all her dim foreign customers.

Today I settled for stuff I can eat without cooking: tomatoes, pomegranates, grapes, pink bananas....

I make no apology for the following photo overload. There is more to explore, SOOOOO much more.

Palm Hearts? X (Banana flowers)

Quiz 1 (slightly smaller than grapes)

Tiny, marble-sized eggplants

Chokos (I love these)

Quiz 2 - about the size of an adult human head

Quiz 3 - bit smaller than a ping ping ball

Quiz 4 - variety of sizes, gherkin to full sized cucumber
(Imagine the vegetable creatures your kids could dream 
up and make with those!)


Yard long beans I think (we used to get these in Greece)

Quiz 5 possibly an easy one but about twice the length of an English cucumber....

Quiz 6, 7 & 8

Quiz 9 (top basket)

Fresh dates

Okra

Quiz 10 - apple sized (doesn't smell like an apple)

Pink Bananas (usual banana colour on the inside)

Dragon Fruit (and mangoes)
Round two of the quiz next week....

I watched fascinated as the woman ahead of me carefully selected a coconut, shaking it to ensure it contained water, paid for it, then got the shop boy to crack it open by smacking it on a metal bar in the grill over the drainage channel in the street (whereupon all coconut water poured into said drain🤔 huh?) There is even a machine at the shop they can use to sort of mince out the coconut meat and off she trotted happily clutching her disembowelled coconut components (minus the water). I like drinking the coconut water. It was a real treat as a kid to be allowed the water carefully drained from the prize before the shell was smacked open.

My Dad loved coconut. For him it represented being the son of a grocer during WWII. The kids were allowed to ask for one sought-after fruit for their birthday. His request was always a coconut. One coconut all to himself. As a kid you (or I) possibly didn't appreciate what parents choose to forgo in order for their kids to gain experiences. Coconuts still weren't plentiful enough to be cheap and were still a special treat when I was a kid and Dad always let us have the coconut when one turned up.

I may have been told to share it with my brother, which might have been an attempt at an important life lesson.

Comments

  1. So much exotic plumptiousness. It is a sensory overload. I can sense that you may be enjoying yourself just a wee too much???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such thing as enjoying oneself too much. BTW basic bottle of wine here is about £40 in the supermarket I visited. There is no Greek taverna wine equivalent here I fear.

      Delete
  2. You should have your own travel programme. It looks like paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every place has its piece of paradise. This bit is heavily concentrated to distill an essence of a bigger life in a place with more space.

      Delete
  3. It all looks so tempting. I'd buy far too much - no self-restraint!
    It's so good to see so many bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would put you off wearing that garland though despite the heady fresia scent.

      Delete
  4. We've totally failed the quiz.
    Nobby says none of it looks like dog food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot that probably isn't human food either, just a good joke on the tourists.🤔

      Delete
  5. in a city like this there will never be a day you are bored. beautiful and delish. the egg plants look a lot like turnup roots. i love them, wonder if this plant tastes like turnips. you are right, lots of quiz material. is it noisy? like when we watch a movie and see it? i woudl not like the noise of NYC . i guess all crowded cities have that. go ahead , bring ON THE PHOTOS.. I wish I could see Tigger wide eyed with wonder from his donkey. he would love it for sure and i bet the vendors would love Tigger. glad they are friendly and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggplant (forgive me Yam Aunty) doesn't taste like much really but is good with other flavours, best described as spongy and absorbant. It is a variety of solanum (related to tomatoes for example). Tigger would have been in his element, ears pitched forward, sitting up to peer over the edge of shelves and tables.

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Brinjal (the Hindi name) is indeed a fairly bland fruit of itself, but once spiced up, can be very delicious indeed. The most famous recipe for it is Baigan Bharta. Yxx

      Delete
  6. Hari OM
    ............drooling this side!!! (This week is the festival of Naratri, so much of the preps will befor that, leading up to Dussera - expect lots of noise!)

    The "palm hearts" are actually Banana Flowers - delicious!
    1 - just another eggplant variation (sometimes known as Turkey Grapes)
    2 - Elephant Yam
    3 - Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
    4 - Bitter Gourd - acquired taste, but I like it
    The beans are called Snake Bean
    5 - Snake Gourde
    6/7/8 - all just variations on yam/potato
    9 - I thinki that's the one called sponge gourd (Chinese Okra)
    10 - Guava (I never did get used to this Indian version of what can be a lovely fruit)

    I bought some red banans here in the hope of the deliciousness I had become familiar with in India - but they turned out to be awful; picked too early and never ripened. Gorgeous post, ta! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can one eat amla raw or is it something they cook? Most of these gourds I suspect need prep, cooking, spices and a well constructed sauce. I'm avoiding making curry in the hotel apartment.

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Yes the gourds do take some prep - particularly the Bitter Gourd (sometimes referred as melon, as Boud has below)... it needs to be stripped of its central seed portion altoghether, then left in salted water for a while before going to cooking stage. It lives up to its name... Yxx

      Delete
    3. ...Pee Ess - sorry re your query re the Amla - yes, they are eaten as they are. Just like a gooseberry, but sweeter. Yxx

      Delete
    4. OK - I will try the amla next. Those and plantains which I will cook Caribbean style. I love plantain.

      Delete
  7. I might have got bitter melon. Might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone earlier called it bitter gourd. Around here my Indian friends call it bitter melon, same thing I think.

      Delete
  8. What a feast for the eyes! So much glorious colour. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garlands are amazing. I watched one guy making one in roses. Next time I will ask if I might video and blog him.

      Delete
  9. I wish we could send smells over the interweb. I bet it was amazing.
    So much vibrancy and colour

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see that ‘checked luggage’ becoming a possibility. What are UK airport customs like regarding fresh fruit….(you know what ours are like) would be great to take some home for Mr B to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably safer to bring him out here - in any event he is a consumer by preference of highly processed junk (he will be eyeing up all the packets of snack food on display).

      Delete
  11. I remember the Choco varietyom childhood. We had a large one on the edge of our property on The Puke. I think my mother tried cooking it but can't remember the results.ive never seen the yard long beans.
    Wonderful colour and bariety
    Never see the yard long beans.
    Loving the colour and variety

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In NZ the imaginative cooks that were in our family (said tongue in cheek) boiled them and served them up on white sauce. They survived even that bleak treatment. Turnip texture, better flavour, no turnipy burps. Only one vendor at our Laikii had yard long beans - maybe he was an enterprising grower experimenting with new stuff. They tasted like 8 inch long beans as I recall. Not worth paying a premium for.

      Delete
  12. I'd go for the food too, gotta love a bit of spice in my cooking, chilli sprinkled in is good. I think the green things in the basket look like bitter melon, if so I remember seeing them in Fiji.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment