Pickled in Gin

Is 13 miles on foot a reasonable substitute for 30-40 miles on the bike? F let herself be talked into walking all the way around Langstone Harbour on Saturday 30 September.

It did mean having to forgo a cycling outing to Droxford.  The walk was shared by 4 other adult humans,  and 2 K9s: Niffler and Blainey

Niffler, a 2 year old Parsons Jack Russell, trotted the entire 13 miles. Those wee short legs rattled along just to keep pace with even the slowest walkers and she still had bounce in her at the end.

Whatever she's been eating....

No, perhaps not.

Blainey (6 years, MUCH bigger) completed the distance on his own legs, but his lunch time nap pose suggested he'd have prefered to stay on the yacht club balcony when his Mum set off down the Hayling Billy Line for the leg to the finish.

About halfway down that western side of Hayling Island I found a bush of the biggest sloes I think I have ever seen.  A less than direct route bike ride from walk finish to home was needed to revisit said bush and relieve it of its abundance of fruit.

i.e. I went back home that way to pick the sloes. I only had my water bottles to put them in.  Who needs water?

They are now pickling gently in a couple if litres of gin....

Comments

  1. You can not tire a Jack Russell. Nor a Dalmatian, they think nothing of trotting 20 miles then wanting to play. Dates back to their breeding as coach horses, that being a good sized day trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We've had Jack Russells and Dalmatians but now we've slowed down to Labradors.

      Delete
    2. A good walk, well finished with a wonderful crop of sloes. You might not have seen them had you been cycling, particularly if you weren't on that route ;-)

      Delete
    3. I usually go looking for sloes about now. They shouldn't really be picked until after first frost but these were already beginning to drop (strange warm autumn), so I just put them in the freezer. Blackthorn is a coastal species and there is plenty of coastline around here, so no shortage of places to go looking for good ones. These ones were unusually large.

      Delete
  2. We have had lots of Jake Russell's down the years TM. They would fight a lion if they had to. Great ratters and very very loyal. Especially the females.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon Niffler had spring loaded shoes on. She could bounce over quite big obstacles.

      Delete
  3. you do not want advice from me. I MIGHT make a 3 mile walk and that is total miles, not 3 their and 3 back. can't ride a bike at all, it just falls over. I am totally impressed with either, or that you did. I had to look up sloe berries, i have heard of sloe gin, since i don't drink I thought it was slow gin. looks like blue berries but I am assuming since you are pickling them. they must be tart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are incredibly dry - meaning if you bite one it dries up your saliva (a bit like eating really green bananas). They give the gin a rich colour and a warm flavour (after about 10-12 weeks of steeping). The sloes get thrown away after that - you really cannot eat them.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    A fair trade in exercise, I'd say - especially when it can yield a crop such as this! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you have the sloes now that is a lovely prize for all that walking
    The view would of been nice too.
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobby has longer legs than a Jack Russell, but similar energy levels, i.e. impossible to tire. He too has spring loaded paw pads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum.. anything pickled in gin sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 13 walked miles compared to 40 cycled? Comes out as a bit more I think! But alleviated by being done in company. Well done on the sloes...and inspired carrying. I put mine in vodka..we prefer that to gin that always has juniper and whatever else in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I see now. It's the SLOES that are pickled in gin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Although my teetotal MiL (many years ago) was covinced to try a small taster of our first ever homemade sloe gin. About half an hour later we found MiL in the kitchen pouring sloe gin into a half pint glass. "Mum, that's gin!" "Mmmm, nice isn't it?" She replied.

      Delete

Post a Comment