Green Corridor

My enthusiastic Danish friend suggested another walk - last Saturday - along the Green Corridor.

Singapore's Green Corridor is a walk along 24 km of the old railway that connected downtown Singapore to Malaysia.  The last trains travelled on the line in 2011, and it was subsequently developed into a north/south walking route lined for most of its length by a narrow corridor of tropical greenery.

Saturday was overcast so not as hot as it might have been, but even so there was a noticeable temperature drop each time we walked from the open into an area of green canopy; clear evidence, if ever any was needed, of the cooling effect of greenery.

We walked from North to South.  Once again the pace was blistering* and this time there were no breaks, pauses, stops for contemplation (or food) and I took no photos except a blurry rushed job on a small rooster and a couple of hens.

Chooks (as they are known by me) appear to be feral here - free to find their own place in the scheme of things.  When you see them (and they are relatively common in parks and green spaces with trees) there always seems to be a rooster and a couple of hens.  The crowing of roosters, unseen in the 'jungle', was a fairly constant sound track in the northern half of the track where the built up suburbs have not encroached on the green corridor to quite the same extent as in the south, and the greenery is more like very tall swamp grasses than jungle.

It is in the south however that that the trees really close over the track and give it green feel for which it is named.  Despite feeling embraced by the greenery, the corridor is in reality only a 20-30 metres or so wide for most of its length and the rushing of heavy traffic on expressways is a constant companion sound .  In places it passes right through high-rise enclaves and the architects have designed it into the carefully curated landscape of their developments.

Dotted about the green were colourful flowers, most of which I couldn't name but did include vibrant red hibiscus.   Some birds made exotic noises but with the exception of a black and white crow sized bird I saw none of the makers of these noises.

This crow was snapped on the Orchard Road

Walkers were comparatively few.  There were many cyclists, some joggers and few families out with pushchairs or tots on three-wheeled scooters. The evidence that it is not a hugely popular park (albeit a very long narrow one) probably lies in the lack of businesses that offer distraction to its users.  In 24km I saw only one cafe/tearoom/seller of ice-creams.  I guess it wouldn't be such a restfully green place if it was wall to wall escapees of the city and an ice-cream seller was set up at every bend or mile marker.

I mean where would the chickens go if the humans really invaded this vestige....


(*I had bought new walking shoes in preparation this time - feet unblistered thankfully)

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    My word, you're putting in the 'steps'! As you say, the space may not be remote nature, but to have such a green space at all is to the merit of the community. An ice cream parlour would definitely be at odds with the ambience as you describe it... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mere 24 km this week?!
    Green corridors are so valuable , especially in densely populated cities. I'm still surprised it's not better used - perhaps something to do with the local culture as well as the lack of businesses offering refreshments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - but the previous week we had lunch at kilometre 14. 24 km no breaks on this trek. My Danish friend is flying to Eorope this weekend so I tackled a leisurely 16 or so round Macritchie Reservoir - more on that later.

      Delete
  3. PS Nobby wants to know where the Singapore dogs get walked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Nobby I have seen Singapore dogs out walking on the tree-lined streets. I have also seen Singapore dogs wearing shoes so the black top doesn't scorch their paws. So far I have only seen rather compact dogs.

      Delete
  4. Sounds lovely. Except for the blistering pace and the 24 kilometres.
    Five or six kilometre stroll is more my style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lush green spaces without commerce - that sounds ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to imagine it as you walked along telling us what you saw and I know it must be beautiful and the greenery makes it a welcome Place away from the Heat. It does sound odd and I would like to see it so if you go again take at least one picture so I can see it for real. I do know that in our backyard when we step under one of the trees it drops by about 10° and I do not want to be where there are chickens wandering around crowing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the Irish Greenways I have wrote about on my blog TM. The Irish government have spent over fifty million repurposing old railways for cyclists, walkers and runners. The surface where the rails ran is tarmac. What kind of surface did you walk on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind a dry heat, that's what we get on the west coast but can't stand Auckland/Northland's humid heat. To answer your question; my 2 adult children live with me so they feed the cats when we are away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment