Pretty Pickle

Fair exchange is no robbery, my father would have said.


I asked Angela for her zucchini pickle recipe (which you can find she published here) and offered in exchange my 

Aunty Jean's Pretty Pickle recipe.... which you can find here....

6 cups of chopped cucumber (do not peel the cucumbers but cut in half lengthwise and deseed them)
1/4 cup of plain salt
4 onions diced finely
2 green peppers
2-4 red peppers
3 cups white sugar
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 cups white vinegar
4 level tablespoons of cornflour and 1/4 cup of water to make a paste.

Cut all the vegetables into 1/4 inch cubes (small dice).  Measure the cucumber after chopping - 6 cups is about 3/4 of a 2litre ice cream tub.  Sprinkle the cucumber with salt, mix well and let it all stand for about 30 minutes while you chop the other veg.

Put the onions and peppers into a large pot with, sugar, celery seeds, mustard, turmeric and vinegar.  Drain and rinse the salty cucumber and add that to the pot (discard the salty liquid).  Bring it all to the boil stirring it often.  When it is boiling vigorously thicken it with the cornflour paste.  Pour the pickle into hot jars and seal.  

Can be eaten straight away - doesn't need a period of maturing - so there is still time to make this as last minute gift from the pantry for Christmas.


Sorry - no photos as I have not made this since Mr B was diagnosed diabetic..... but it does deserve its name.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    MMMMM... that reads a little like a Picalilli recipe, just with softer veg to make for quicker eating - yummy! (I like the look of the zucchini one too; though on both I'd be substituting finely diced celery over the onion). YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to leave out the celery seeds if you swap out onions for celery.

      Delete
  2. Tomorrow will be relish/pickle/chutney day for me. I was going to make Angela's recipe but zucchini are expensive at the moment. I'm tossing up between apricot sauce (lots of apricots puree in the freezer) and onion chutney which I know everyone likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apricot chutney - now that is a luxury I can only dream about back here.

      Delete
  3. Ps I'll save this recipe and the zucchini one for the summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty pickle - it reminded me of piccalilli, too,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Rasta' pickle - gold coloured with red and green in it.

      Delete
  5. my mother made this every year with fresh veggies from what daddy grew, she called it pickle relish. she and daddy loved it. My brother and I refused to eat it. Now I would eat it, but can't because of the sugar and IBS symptoms. Every one loved it but ME...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had two kinds of turmeric pickles at home - know by us and HIS and HERS. His was vinegary and crunchy and Dad's preferred, HERS was more 'spreadable' and had pineapple and curry powder and other sweet things in it - preferred by Mum. She made both, most of us ate HIS - cold mutton sandwiches with HIS pickle.

      Delete
  6. when I left home at age 19, my brother moved in my room and daddy built shelves from floor to ceiling on one wall, and hung curtains over it. that is where mother stored all the jars of things she canned. jams, jellies, pickles, beans, peas, okra,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have got me thinking about canning okra....

      Delete
  7. Oh yummy. I’ll definitely make some. Probably after the madness of Christmas
    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok major yum, I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment