Tiffin

Tiffin - see the link for etymology, history,...... need I say more.

I have been looking for a good one of these for a while.  My serendipitous trek down some less well-trodden side streets turned up this.


I was swinging it about casually as I progressed along the street and two shops along was stopped by a vendor of textiles who wanted to know where I got my charming tiffin. "Why, just next door!" I replied (surprised).  

Do they not chat to their neighbours in adjoining shops?  It was on display right out there on the street.

Maybe it was simply a line to get me to stop and contemplate her display of textiles.

Comments

  1. Nice find. I can’t believe they don’t visit one another’s shops. Not even to gossip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid tiffin. I suspect you're right and that you were being subtly invited to look at textiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was already sizing up some cushion covers. I seldom buy on an impulse. Look at stuff and go bzck after I have slept on it a few times. Trying to think of a good souvenir and xmas present for grandchildren. A fabulously colourful silk patchwork cushion for bedroom will get more use than clothes or 'i love singapore' pencil cases, and potentially be around for years.

      Delete
  3. Very shiny and attractive. For a brief time in the 1960s there was a chocolate bar called Tiffin. The ad had a memorable song. I had a friend with the surname Tuffin. Relentless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    That's the real deal - colour me a little green! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never heard the word or seen anything like this. not even by another name. i thought it was stacked cooking pots, but after research think it is a lunch box? looks great to me but if it is a lunch box, it's a bit large for a sandwich, which was my choice of taking lunch to work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😁 Lunch for me is usually salad. Tiffins usually carry a curry, some flatbreads or rice and a chutney, sauce or yoghurt mix. Leftovers from last night's dinner. You would just have to eat round sandwiches. (You can get square tiffins).

      Delete
  6. The Singapore cooks equivalent to the Swiss Army Knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or those stacking plate things that are used to serve HIGH TEA

      Delete
  7. oh that looks like a very handy thing to have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment