F's Mueslei Biscuits (Cookies)

 

No 1 - F's Mueslei Biscuits

Mueslei Biscuits.

Rather unusually I started my Odyssey with a new/newish recipe gleaned from the internet.  The inspiration for the search had been agreeing to join a team of work colleagues taking on the 3 Peaks Challenge http://www.thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/ to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House at Guy’s Hospital – right next door to where we worked.  I wanted a high energy, no-holds-barred biscuit such as might sustain and fortify flagging (city type) hill walkers.  Mueslei is full of sustaining stuff and I had a packet of some commercial brand languishing in the breakfast cupboard at home.  (I make and prefer my own concoction, so my partner’s attempts to cater for my breakfasts, although gratefully received, were going to be ‘re-assigned’.)

I have no idea now where the recipes came from and at any rate I cobbled 2 or 3 of them together by trial and error to produce the favoured end result.  So apologies to anyone who thinks they recognize their recipe behind this.

The really important part of cobbling up a mueslei biscuit is to know what is (or isn’t) in your mueslei mix, what you want out the other end of the process, and what suitable additions and substitutes inhabit your pantry. I had a basic mueslei, wanted lots of slow release carbs , a dangerous dose of fat and flavour, and had a cupboard full of dried and glacĂ© fruit, nuts, seeds, and spices .  Make them to suit your own taste.  I happen to like adding preserved citrus peel and some crystallized ginger, lots of cinnamon, cloves and allspice, and raisins.

Basic Mueslei Biscuit:

2 cups of mueslei
1cup flour
I tsp cinnamon
cloves, mixed spice, allspice, or nutmeg to taste
¾ cup brown (or raw) sugar
2 tablespoons  golden syrup
125 grams melted butter
1tsp Bicarb Soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons of boiling water.

Variations:
½ cup desiccated coconut, handful raisins or other dried fruit, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, or flaked nuts, zest off two oranges (or some preserved citrus peel like you would put in Xmas cakes), chopped crystallized ginger.  Replace the golden syrup with honey, or use wholemeal flour ....... anything else you enjoy in your mueslei or your biscuits.

Put spoonfuls on a greased baking tray (or baking paper) and bake at 180o C
(160 o C if you have a fan oven) for about 15 minutes.

They survive hikes up mountains and commutes on motorbikes, but get consumed fairly quickly.

Comments

  1. If I attempted to make biscuits they would end up like that pile of rocks your group is sitting on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I do like a good power bar! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that you need muesli before you can make them. Ah, I thought you were going to explain how you make it. I don't think muesli is available where I live. I remember it in England, something with oats and fruit. Maybe granola?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed granola - that word is starting to show up here on the breakfast cereal shelves and it appears to be pretty much the same thing. There is a homemade muesli/granola recipe coming at some stage. For this recipe I used up some cheap nasty 'muesli' that didn't cut it in the breakfast bowls and had therefore been languishing....

      Delete
  4. I love biscuits. Especially homemade ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So does F, but Mr B's diabetic diagnosis, and his inability to ration his consumption of homemade biscuits means that F no longer indulges herself baking them.

      Delete
  5. They sound tasty. I prefer to make my own muesli, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobby wants to take part in the Three Peaks Challenge.
    Gail wants to challenge the spelling of 'muesli'! (Perhaps the version here is the NZ spelling??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F wants to challenge the spelling of Muesli too - but it was what spellcheck in blogger said it should be (US American I suspect) - definitely not the Kiwi spolling which has a second 'e' in it

      Delete
    2. PS tell Nobby that Ben Nevis is the best bit. The worst bit is driving between them. Scarfell Pike is a bit of a soggy stroll topped by a moonscape, and Snowden has lots of options (we went up the miners track) - and a train to the top of Snowden on the other side of the mountain sort of detracts from having scaled it on foot.

      Delete
  7. Your recipe sounds very similar to Anzac biscuits, very nutritious and healthy. I like the sound of yours with all that extra spice and the other bits you get in muesli compared to plain oats. Yum! Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anzac Biscuits come later and I will update original post with a version of ANZAC biscuits from my late uncle who made his with a helping of his homemade marmalade

      Delete
  8. I made muesli bars during covid lockdowns.
    Remember those lol
    All sorts and all variations. They were gratefully accepted by the boys, we were essential workers keeping the transport and farming industry going.
    I think we were all muselied out by the end of it lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what that recipe reminds me of? Weetbix Slice which has all the same ingredients but weetbox instead of muesli, it has been a firm favourite with my family for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly I have a 'weetbix' slice coming up. I called it FTC (Forest Training Centre) Square after the lovely tea-lady who gave me the recipe.

      Delete

Post a Comment