Fitness Yoga

Not entirely clear in the differences between fitness yoga and any other kind, I have been attending Saturday morning fitness yoga for a few weeks now (around Repair Cafe and cycle group outings).  Last Saturday the 'teacher' was into part 2 of a series designed to improve the students' understanding of the shapes they were trying to achieve.

Lots of lunging, and Warriors I & II (which you yogis will know involves bending one knee and feeling your thigh muscles quaking with the need to stand up straight again).  I don't mind adopting poses like an All Black performing a haka, but holding them indefinitely while the teacher rabbits on about the whys and wherefores....|)  And then there is the breathing: in for this move, out for that one.  We will all do this little routine together a couple of times and now that you know what you are doing just go ahead and do a few in your own time.

'Make it your own' she said.

I clearly breathe a lot more slowly than other people (I do have an unnaturally slow heart rate, so maybe I breathe slower too); they have all powered through three repetitions and I am still doing a three legged dog somewhere in the second half of round two when the music winds down and she is congratulating everyone on finishing together.  I quietly lower my leg and and sort of unravel as gracefully as I can to join everyone else standing up and looking pleased with themselves.

Gracefully and me don't sit comfortably in the same paragraph, let alone the same sentence.  Mr T would have told you that - he supervised enough attempts at internet-led yoga during lockdowns.  He made a point of sitting under me when I did bridge shapes and conducted a general critique of my form.

"You will never make a cat."

"I agree, but you don't have opposable thumbs."

Actually it was the number of triceps dips that caught up with me on Sunday.  Yes, I can hold my body off the floor in a triceps dip if I think everyone in the room is looking around to see if anyone else has flopped onto the floor, but only at the expense of a few layers of tooth enamel (she says through gritted teeth).

"Relax your neck" (and teeth - she could have added).

Fortunately for me about half the class are men and most are in a similar decade of life; the commentary from one at the back of the studio echoed my thoughts exactly as it was suggested that we might hook an elbow around our toes to increase a quad stretch - "no chance" would be the acceptable translation.


I photographed these crocuses on the way home - pretty, uncomplicated, not tortured by their own inadequacies or aging bodies in need of long delayed maintenance.  I should be thankful I can still contemplate making a few shapes, even if it is unlikely I will ever pull off a crow pose.


Comments

  1. Oh dear. I have trouble just getting up from retrieving a packet of something from the bottom shelf in the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crow pose might help. (but you would have to use your teeth)

      Delete
  2. My knee joints - showing signs of wear and tear as a result of a lifelong passion for cycling - ars aching just reading this.
    The last yoga class I attended was an outdoor session by the shore of Loch Torridon, prior to a 'dook' in the loch last August. It's the only fitness class I've ever attended which started with the instructor handing out midge repellent!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got handed a tea towel last night; not for wiping sweaty brows - or swatting wildlife - but to practice articulating our toes picking it up. Teacher was the only one who struggled with that exercise🤣

      Delete
  3. Mucking out the livestock and pottering around with my perennials and vegetables gives me plenty of exercise TM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My preferred exercise too but sometimes I need to focus on particular joints that can get either over or underworked in general usage and then let me know they want attention. Squeaky wheel and all that....

      Delete
  4. my first thought was Balderdash.. that comes from deep within my own thoughts about team or class things done together. you are brave and that is what is great. I have sets of excercises that i do every day, different sets for odd days. no one will ever never see me do them. they work for me. as for the crow thing, i am wondering who named this, it doesn't resemble any crow I have ever seen. I rather due a TIGGER and lay flat on the floor, or curled on a sofa.. I still miss that precious cat and his antics and rides in his donkey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find being with other like minded people is motivating. Good on you at being able to motivate yourself, I'm rubbish at it. The pose is actually called kakasana (some Indians named it).

      Delete
  5. It's not about getting stronger and fitter, it's about not getting any worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're onto it. It's like doing an oil change on the old morry minor.....

      Delete
  6. I have enough trouble getting Down on the floor. And then back up again without letting off a toot. I’d never be able to go to a yoga class lol
    Well done you I say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is yoga for sitting on a chair - honestly. You might look it up: https://www.verywellfit.com/chair-yoga-poses-3567189 is one example
      and there are plenty on Y**-Tube

      Delete
  7. Hari OM
    Okay, I confess, I cackled at 'no chance'! Cos, that was something along the lines of my thought pattern as I read... and looked across at my exercise pedals, which, for some reason or other, have been ignored since Christmas. "Will there be room for them in The Grey?" she wondered as she typed... slim chance would be the answer to that one. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yam Aunty - a weighted cuff for each ankle to wear walking about for a few minutes each day, building up to more minutes gradually, is just as good as the exercycle pedals.

      Delete
  8. I look back fondly on my yoga days - look back and wonder….did I really do headstands and all sorts of other weird and wonderful poses?
    The pool I go to is trialling Water/Aqua Yoga. Not as popular as the faster moving Aqua Aerobics but they really are exercising for different purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been and am unlikely to ever be that good. If I can manage a basic sun salutation I regard myself as having done ok. Headstands? That is a whole other league.

      Delete
  9. If ever I contemplated a yoga class, this has put me off. I'm not good in crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never want to put anyone off. I really believe in well targeted exercise to keep the body moving. 12 years ago I was told by a physio that I had a crumbling hip and there is nothing that could be done to 'fix it'. She was a good diagnostician, and a lousy physiotherapist. The accepted wisdom these days is to strengthen the muscles around arthritis affected joints to support them. A different physiotherapist told me to take up Pilates (and yes I hated being the newbie in the crowded room, but quickly made big differences to my posture and general strength and mobility). 5 years ago I was CT scanned for something else and the Dr giving me the results added 'and you should know you have a deteriorated hip on the left'. Yes I know. Here I am 12 years on still walking without pain or lopsidedness, still doing Pilates, and I added yoga from the internet during lockdown. Internet is great but I have to say that having a teacher who can direct little adjustments and identify the bits you need to work on, stop you doing the big shape when the little one would be better for your capacity etc - and I have made a lot of fun and funny acquaintances over the years. We encourage each other - it isn't competitive of judgmental , and I can guarantee I do the damned exercises if I have paid the subscription and know I have to turn up. It reinforces the resolve.

      Delete

Post a Comment