Grandma's Ginger Biscuits

I made these in Greece using sheep milk butter - and they turned out really well and didn't taste of the unusual smell of that butter.

No 6 - Grandma's Ginger Biscuits

My Grandmothers Ginger Biscuits

For reasons I will never completely understand because I was born after it was all over, NZ had rationing during and after WWII.  They must have had butter and eggs coming out their ears but their recipes reflect a period of austerity, ingredient substitution and ‘make-do’ **.  (Maybe it was the sugar they lacked.)

We loved these ginger biscuits and no one could make them like Grandma.  My mother, her own daughter, reneged on making them, claiming the ‘never come out like Mum’s’.  Grandma’s were always baked in an old coal range that virtually never went out and kept Grandma’s farmhouse kitchen a stifling place in the height of summer, but cosy and welcoming in Winter.

For birthdays, Grandma would send each of us a Golden Syrup tin (the biggest ones are/were the same size as the big ones here now – so not an enormous portion) full of her ginger biscuits, and we were ‘made up’ as the saying has it.  Today our quantity expectations seem to be so much bigger.  I hesitate to give friends just a Golden Syrup tin full, and Mum bakes for her grandchildren in multiples of 2 litre ice-cream packs.*


Ginger Biscuits

1 cup butter **
1 cup sugar
1 cup golden syrup
3 big cups of flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp ginger

Melt the butter, syrup and sugar.  Sift in the dry ingredients.  Roll into balls and put on a greased baking tray, and bake in a moderate oven for 15-20 minutes.  

**Originally made with lard and butter and a tablespoon of vinegar. 

*no wonder diabetes and weight gain problems are the new plague of our generation

Comments

  1. Ginger biscuits seem rather to have gone out of fashion but I still love them. Especially good for dunking in coffee!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does it - I have to go and make some, and dunk them. I remember doing that with biscuits as a kids and getting told off.

      Delete
  2. Tate and Lyle have a new design for their tins. It's a shame, I think, to do away with the original, with the lion and the bees.
    I love ginger biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what the lion and bees signifies but the green and gold and the 'antique-ness' of the design feels reassuring.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if butter was still rationed after the war because it became an export to bring in income? When was Fonterra formed as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote: "Fonterra was formed in October 2001 after 84% of the farmers involved voted to accept the merger of the New Zealand Dairy Board, New Zealand Dairy Group and Kiwi Co-operative Dairies in July that year." Unquote
      Which turns out to be even later than I had thought I remembered.

      Delete
    2. Much later indeed. Which element of the three was the oldest? Probably the Dairy Board..like the Milk Marketing Board here

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    The Mac Clan are particularly fond of ginger biccies, and I seem to recall that was one of the biscuits we were expected to learn in Domestic Science at school... probably not one I would do now to be honest. Loved the reminisce, though! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love ginger biscuits. Especially if your feeling a little funny in the tummy a ginger bikkie helps lots

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is something i might be able to eat since there is no sugar but syrup. i am wondering. i had to look up golden syrup and Martha Stewart says here in usa would use part molasses and part dark corn syrup. I have had molasses but not corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ginger biscuits. I do prefer to use lurpak though and runny Greek honey because there's no golden syrup. K uses sheeps butter in the Easter and Xmas biscuits.
    But ginger nuts brought overseas visitors are the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should write a cook book TM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know but I've never like ginger biscuits, it must be the packets of gingernuts we have here in the shops which are way too hard, maybe I should try making them instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to try these. I'm about to venture into our local Costco to re-stock the pantry up (after successfully using up what needed to be used up), and as I have a hankering for ginger I'm planning to pick up a too-large quantity of the fresh stuff. But I love these war-rationing recipes (like the stuff M.F.K. Fisher wrote about in "How To Cook A Wolf") so I've actually got all I need for your Grans'. Except that I'll have to use honey, but last time I subbed it for golden syrup it worked nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment