Mashing Pumpkins

Not an alternative rock band .....

6 large pumpkins remained on my dining room floor.  Their shells are rock hard and their flesh solid and sweet.  In a week or two they will start to break down as nature encourages them to release their seeds into another season.

Well Ya Boo to nature.

No I didn't mean that, but to be fair the nature around here does not need to be crawling with pumpkin vines.  This morning I tried the big knife, the bigger knife, and then finally resorted to the small axe.  Having cleaved (or is that cloven) them into pieces and removed the seeds (to release into nature), the flesh has been baked, scooped from the shells, mashed and frozen in slabs for making baking (and soup, and pies, and just to eat as mashed pumpkin with lots of butter and chopped parsley).

Now that I have thought about releasing those seeds into nature, there is a bit of waste land along the street that might be just the place to throw a few and see what happens.  Feed the neighbourhood.  Next winter's mice will have ready made houses to nibble their way into and a supply of seeds to keep them well fed.

Comments

  1. The Smashing Pumpkins are an alternative Rock band TM. Throwing seeds is called guerilla gardening. I think the Buddleias invented the term scattering seeds at bomb sites and railway stations like Temple Mead in Bristol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the Buddleias an alternative rock band? (or more folk music?)

      Delete
  2. I either bake or microwave pumpkins tender, or I can't cut into them. Labor saving. I'm surprised your climate is warm enough for pumpkins, guessing you're in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Innovative thinking - Mr B bought 'me' one of those little electric ones while I was in Singapore. I think he wanted the toy and I haven't even been out to the shed to look at it. However now that you suggest it...

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    mmmmmmmmmm...pumpkin...mmmmmmmmmmmm...... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must check our pumpkins....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mashing pumpkins sounds like a dance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been given two pumpkins from across the road. Sounds like a perfect way to preserve them. I’ll give that a go

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know pumpkins were so tough . Haven't eaten a real one is years.
    I throw squash seeds thought the garden in spring. A few vines come up but no squash. They probably need more water in the heat. I tire of constant watering

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea to toss those pumkin seeds out there and you can document how they do for us... i have yet to find a butter subistute since butter upsets IBS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment