No 46 - Zucchini Bread

I warned you these wouldn't be in any particular order.  (Zucchini, Courgette, summer squash...).  During summers of over supply of zucchini, I grate them, squeeze out excess moisture and freeze the pulp in blobs to make loaves, cakes, muffins and fritters during the winter. This recipe is a favorite but I use about half of the sugar.

No 46 - Zucchini Bread

A bit of a misnomer because it is not bread - more cake or sweet 'loaf'.  However I harvested the first zucchini of this season on Saturday, so I'm getting in the mindset to be over-run by them (which to be frank would be preferable to last year's impoverished harvest).



I love zucchini in cakes and muffins; lots of lovely moistness without much impact on flavour.

Zucchini Bread

1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 ½  cups sugar (I use light brown sugar)
3 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups plain flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt (optional)
1 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds

Pre-heat the oven to 160C (325o F) and prep a large loaf tin (or two small ones).

Beat the first 4 ingredients together until the mixture is thick and fluffy.  Stir in the grated zucchini.  Fold in the sifted dry ingredients, and seeds.

Even it out in your loaf tin and bake for about an hour (until a skewer comes out clean).

 
or try a round one.....

Comments

  1. tis a yummy way to eat zuchinni and thanks for reminding me. it has been a while since I bought zuchinni, split in half, baste with garlic salt and olive oil and bake. yumm but not as yum as this bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as though it has a green hue. Tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks for this. I would definitely like to try it. I am sure even I could manage that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something new to try. I think Zucchini is an American word for Marrow/Courgettes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Oh yes, this was a staple in my OZ days... haven't really thought about making them here for some peculiar reason. Must correct that! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago. When I had little people living here, I grew more food and always had heaps of zucchini
    I made zucchini bread, not sure if this exact recipe, zucchini muffins and everyone’s favourite. Zucchini brownies

    Such a versatile vegetable and usually very easy to grow.
    Every little bit helped I’ll save this and give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's something I've never tried, usually they are expensive to buy here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment