Sunday Hats, Humming Birds, Harry and a Slingshot

Sunday hats: Think 'Queen Elizabeth hats with less pizzazz'. 

- Round crowns, domed or flat on top, stiff narrow brim, some with a curl-up on the outer edge. 

- A ribbon round the crown fixed, possibly, with a prim ribbon flower or demur arrangement of beads/a brooch.  

- Understated. No wild flourishes.

- Definitely not worn at rakish angles.

Sunday hats mean business.  They are not frivolous. They command respect. Neither they nor their wearers are to be messed with.

A bit much flourish but you get the idea.

Hummingbirds are flitting about the greenery that stretches its head up above the level of our stoop on stilts. 

They are quick.

I saw my first one while out walking on Sunday morning. It might actually have been checking me out and gave me quite a surprise while I processed what I was looking at. Butterfly flashed across my thought screen first. Iridescence. Glowing green and blue on black. I was squatted under banana leaves at the time avoiding a drenching in tropical rain and admiring some red flowers

This vision of electric beauty flashed in, hovered, then darted away. I spent ages lurking around a thicket of the red flowered plant trying to capture the hummingbirds with phone camera. Success was limited and the results unimpressive.


They were flashing about a flowering tree here but rain has halted play and all I managed to get on digirecord today was another little black nectar feeder of some kind.
Harry (Death in Paradise - a comedic murder mystery TV series set on a fictional Caribbean island has a character called Harry) visited our island retreat today.



And for anyone who has seen the program, I swear we saw Commissioner Paterson in Grenville yesterday. 

Mr B wants a new toy....


Polaris Slingshot, seen in Grenville yesterday. Not very practical in rainy England.

Comments

  1. Super photos. Especially the blue lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice red skateboard!
    I first saw a hummingbird on a tour of a coffee plantation in Cuba and remember thinking at first that it was a butterfly. They call them zoom-zooms there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skateboard with a 2.5 litre engine. Tigger would have wanted one as an upgrade on his Donkey.

      Delete
  3. Similar Sunday hats were in evidence in the 1980s in Brixton, where my then boyfriend lived.
    I am one of the many 'Death in Paradise' fans. (I only watch non-traumatic crime dramas!) It was through Bertie's blog that I first heard of it. Julie the owner of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel 'Princess Leah', one of Bertie's blog pals, advertised the programme on her blog. Julie was (is?) apparently CFO of the company that made the series. She no longer blogs, but I suspect she might be quite rich by now, given the series' success!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we found DiP right at the outset - it was in one of our shared viewing slots (things we both agree to watch) and have stuck with it. Non-traumatic is one of its attractions.

      Delete
  4. The hats are wonderful.
    Hummingbirds are incredibly quick and I was so excited to see one years ago in California and managed a not very good photograph.
    The Slingshot looks as though it would be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some more mature women here wear a simple dress hat just to step off their porch any day of the week.

      Delete
  5. Hari Om
    Oh, your very own Harry!!! Colour me 💚. And any vehicle that has slingshot in it's name is surely to be avoided... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tigger would have wanted a Slingshot. I can just see his ears tilted forward while he's looking at it. Xxx

      Delete
  6. It's the same with bees, they are too quick for me. That baby lizard looks like a skink.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment