Toasted Muesli

 This from way back when we had bees in the backyard.

Toasted Muesli

Tigger asked that I post more recipes that use honey.  His bees have started whizzing about the place again and in a couple of months he will be contacting all his friends and customers (or posting on his blog) to try and sell the next batch of honey.

Toasted Muesli

5 cups of rolled oats (I use the jumbo rolled oats)
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup wheat germ  (wheat germ isn’t always available in my local shops so I substitute a cup of hulled sunflower seeds)
1 cup skimmed milk powder
1 cup of chopped nuts
½ cup honey
½ cup good cooking oil

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large flat roasting pan.  Heat the honey and oil gently, pour it over the dry ingredients and mix it all really (REALLY) well.  Toast it at about 125C until it is golden.  You will need to stir around two or three times during the toasting process. 

At the end add  1 cup raisins / sultanas / currants.  Store in an airtight jar.

The original recipe had a cup of oil and a cup of honey.  I found this to be overpowering but you might like your muesli really sweet and stuck together like clusters, so vary that according to your own taste.

You can also add things like linseed, sesame seed, chopped dried fruit etc according to your taste.

Comments

  1. Tigger's bees - there's a poem waiting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be our guest - Tigger's humans are lousy poets.

      Delete
  2. I really need to make my own. I don't eat raisins, sultanas, currants etc so rarely buy shop bought as they always contain the dried fruits that I dislike. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tigger my love.. my brain is thinking of all the ways to change this up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F replaced the wheat germ with sunflower seeds and added ground linseed occasionally. There are loads of seeds and nuts that you could use.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the perfect roughage ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love muesli. But as I try to limit the amount of carbs I eat it’s usually off the menu.
    At my recent trip to costco. I found keto muesli. It’s really lovely. So now when I have that craving for a crunchy breakfast I eat that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very much like the granola I make. Except I wouldn't add the coconut. And I do like it in clumps, so that oil and honey suits me a treat. In the UK I used to get Bircher muesli, very expensive little boxes, but really good breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use to have muesli for breakfast as a child, it certainly is filling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment