Baking Repost - Chestnut and Chocolate Biscotti

First blogged in 2012.  I recently made these with real chestnut flour, almonds, and Grenadian dark chocolate.  Ver popular with the after lunch coffee.  The 2012 ones went a bit soft after a day or two but were easily crisped up by a short turn in a low oven - so I would happily use fresh sweet chestnuts again if I didn't have access to chestnut flour.

Sweet chestnut and chocolate biscotti

I have been out in NZ where it is autumn.  Sweet chestnuts were falling from the trees in the park around where my Mum plays croquet.  Eating chestnuts has never been a tradition with any of the Kiwis that I grew up with and it seems that they have over the years simply been swept up by the road sweeper and the bloke who mows the grass under the trees.

In recent years there has been an influx of itinerant workers from the Far East and they have brought with them some wonderful new food attitudes, including eating sweet chestnuts.  So the chestnuts are collected but it remained a mystery to most of the locals what you might do with a chestnut to make it edible.

So here we go.  I scrounged up a bag of them which amounted to about half a kilogram once boiled and shelled (see below), whizzed them to a damp powder in the blender and proceeded to make this recipe


http://en.julskitchen.com/dessert/chestnut-chocolate-cookies
And Juls presents it so much better than I do so follow the link.  Just one word of warning her recipe uses chestnut flour, what I produced was damp chestnut powder - the texture of the end biscotti was superb but the mix was too damp to begin with and needed extra flour.  I also added pistachios to my mixture.
To shell sweet chestnuts, cut the shell on their rounded side and either bake them in an oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes, or boil them for about 20 minutes, and then keep them hot while you pull both layers of the shells off.  Much easier to do it you can keep them warm.

Comments

  1. I like chestnuts in any form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to taste one now... yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those days of sweet chestnuts lying on the ground. Now, when I look, there are only prickly shells left behind so obviously more people are wild-harvesting them today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari Om
    Nom nom nom 😀 YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! Been a while since I've made biscotti, might do it again this week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment