Essence of Stodge

My baking repost last week featured a 'stodgy' pudding.  Stodgy, in our house, denoted something heavy, unrisen and calorie laden - something that would 'stick to your ribs' (my Grandfather's phrase for food that would provide a days worth of fuel), or lie heavily in your stomach and give any ordinary person indigestion.

After leaving home (in NZ) I had, as a second job, for many years, work in a small boutique sort of restaurant.  The boss was not a professional chef and the food was best described as what you might be eating at home if you came from middle class families in countries as diverse as Thailand, Mexico, Lebanon, India, Italy, ....  The boss liked to travel and always built homestays with cooking lessons into her explorations of the world's cuisines. (It was decades before the internet and AirBnB.)

Her restaurant had a blackboard menu which changed with seasons, available fruit and veg etc.

Anyway, one night, a well heeled English gent came in and dined alone.  When he finished his main course, I went out and described what desserts/puddings we had available.  On the menu that week we had 'bread  pudding' (English people will know this one) and we had been having trouble selling it.  Personally I am not surprised.  Any time my mother tried to feed us Bread Pudding as kids we all gave it the thumbs down.  It was absolutely no comparison to her sponge puddings (which I learned later in life go by the name 'clafouti' is homes posher than ours), and it would be no lie to say we hated the stuff.

So when this gent asked me if the bread pudding was stodgy, I stumbled.  What can you say about bread pudding?  I practiced being a politician: "It is everything that a bread pudding is supposed to be.  It is a queen of bread puddings, it ..."  

He cut me short. "If it isn't stodgy I don't want it!"

"In that case," said I, "..it's definitely stodgy.  Absolutely stodgy.  Stodgerific.  It is heavy and dense, and calorific, and I would be surprised if you could find a stodgier bread pudding in the town, the province, possibly the entire country."

"Good, I will have two."

A couple of years later and by then living in England, the topic of English Puddings came up with one of my English (male) colleagues. He loved 'Pudding'  (sweet puddings. There are also meat puddings, and I think, only think, that the word pudding might originally have referred to boiling being the means of cooking them).  His view was that all the best English pudding recipes started with 'take half a pound of suet, a cup of sugar and a raisin'.  (We agreed that modern puddings were perhaps more generous with the raisins....  ) 'sift in a pound of flour.... '

His foundation 'recipe' defines 'stodgy'.  It has stodge built into every atom of its existence.  It is the very essence of stodginess.   

Comments

  1. An occasional taste of stodge does no harm, depending on the ingredients, of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a steamed pudding but prefer mine light, soft, airy (possible exception for Xmas puddings but they are in a category of their own).

      Delete
  2. Oh, I did enjoy reading this! Stodgy puddings are the stuff of legends LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially the ones that 'stick to your ribs'!

      Delete
  3. Stodgy bread pudding..with custard of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Repair Café colleague makes a 'cake' (oven baked and eaten in cold slices or slabs) of left over bread pressed together with some kind of binder. It is sweet and cinnamon-y, and extremely popular but about the consistency of a cheddar cheese.

      Delete
    2. Probably egg as a binder?

      Delete
  4. bread pudding is my favorite pudding, but I am not sure if it is like your pudding. I had to learn from blogging that pudding that I call pudding is not pudding for Europe. bread pudding mother made was made with left over white bread that had gone stale, cooked in custard with lots of sugar and raisins. before I gave up sugar, I always had that for dessert at the restaurant we eat at. anything that is made with flour and sugar what's not to love.. also Americans cook with more Sugar than you would put in a sweet pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a bread pudding to me. As for your comment about quantities of sugar - I have noticed that when I use American recipes. I have to halve the recipe quantity of sugar or everyone here goes into diabetic coma.

      Delete
  5. I nice bit of stodge after gardening or walking is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an American, I haven't heard the term "stodgy" applied to food. More a word to describe a character that is stuffy or intractable. It's a good word and a well told story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari OM
    Yes, boiling or steaming denotes a pudding, as opposed to a pie, which is baked. That said, Bread and Butter Pudding is a baked custard, solidified with bread. It can actually be quite light... it's one of my fave things to make in the air fryer! Definitely a winter dish, though, so perhaps fits into that stick to the ribs cagtegory right enough!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Odd but I've never had bread and butter pudding. Our favourite was upside down self saucing chocolate pud. I used to make it for the kids. Perfect with custard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've an acquaintance who makes her bread and butter puddings (which are different beast to a bread pudding) with croissants and marmalade. Now that's posh. Who has stale croissants lying around?

      Delete
  9. In wintertime in Aberdeen, one often experiences a strong urge to consume stodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the least surprised. Living in Norway in winter had the same effect.

      Delete
  10. Hubby loves bread and butter pudding. Me. Not so much
    Newer recipes say you can add chocolate bits into it. It’s like eating a hot Nutella sandwich
    I guess it’s more about memories than taste

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment