Verjus

'I was only away two hours and look at the mess you've made! You can't be left unsupervised.'

Ooo er.

Surveyed the scene: 'Fair point.'

Rampant grapevine from the neighbour's side of the adjoining garages had been threatening to engulf the lot.  Since Old Mike passed away the new owner has done nothing about the state of the 'garden'.  The Egyptian Strawberry tree between their shed and garage has grown so large it has blocked the gap through which the back of the garden was accessible. The tree provided an escape route for the grape vine which now tumbles down from great height and spreads its tendrils into two neighbouring properties swallowing fences, sheds, our garage,....

(And, just to pile on the insult, the inaccessible back garden had become a roof high, gutter blocking, tangle of brambles.)

Mr B had gone house clearing and I was standing about home, hands in pockets, looking for some trouble to get into.  The grapevine on the garage roof just suggested itself.  

Two hours later there was, on the lawn, a pile of tree branches, in the compost bins a much bigger pile of chopped up grapevine, and in the kitchen 6 washbasins full of green grapes.


I was about halfway through extracting green juice from said grapes when Mr B arrived home. Squashing grapes and straining juice is a bit unstructured.

Hangdog look.

Denouement: I have about 10 litres of verjus in the freezer. Last time I extracted some, it began fermenting in the fridge and I don't want to add preservatives so I freeze it in 1 litre buckets.


From bright green when squished, the juice quickly (in seconds) oxidizes to yellowish green, but it's the best ingredient in the world for boiling ham in - that and a bit of mustard.

He might be impertinent about the mess but he won't refuse to eat boiled ham.

Comments

  1. Are they no good for eating? You certainly have a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fraction of what's hanging on that vine! They are edible when ripe - an old fashioned raisiny flavour and slightly astringent skins, but VERY small with HUGE seeds.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, you don't let the grass grow, do you? The verjus sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A strawberry tree? Just googled it - nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly certain they are inedible. My grandma had one in her garden at Cave.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. That’s a lot of juice. It must have made a big difference to your garden after getting all that cut down. Well done you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could grow grapes to make verjus. I suspect you would fall in love with it as an ingredient to you extensive cooking repertoire.

      Delete
  5. Those grapes are gorgeous! They do look like gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The useless photographer failed to capture the almost luminescent blue green glow on the bunches that were beginning to ripen. They were indeed jewel-like.

      Delete
  6. Your neighbour sounds a bit like a nightmare. I imagine the verjus makes the boiled ham rather delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. Never before heard of verjus. I too would love to taste the ham!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a new one for me. Never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I a few years ago but the first time I tackled this groping grape I decided to make a condiment jelly out of the green juice and discovered a whole world of verjus on the Internet when I went looking for grape jelly recipes. An excellent vinegar substitute - less challenging than vinegar.

      Delete
  9. Hari Om
    I used verjus a lot in OZ, but have never looked for it here... what a haul you gained, turning something of a nuisance into a thing of use! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of it either. They're picking grapes now and we are often given a bag or 2. And some wine later. I usually juice them and make k drink it. I shall investigate verjus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First case I’ve ever heard of someone being grateful for the mess a neighbour’s overhanging ‘tree’ makes. Better than throwing it back over the fence as you’re legally allowed to do here.
    Also cheaper than buying it - priced at AU$18 a litre here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never eaten boiled ham and an now off to see how it is done. you can sure boil a lot of hams with that much juice. is it not good for anything other than that? they are so beautiful and I was wondering how you would ever eat that many. our neighbors yard is covering us and neither of us can fight it any more. we will have to hire it done, which bob refuses to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can be used instead of vinegar or replace lemon juice in marinades and salad dressings.

      Delete
  13. Also new to me, but sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment