Baking Repost: Steamed Loaf

 

No. 49 - Steamed Loaf Take 2 - Fruit Tea Loaf



Now I have produced a firm (very firm) dense loaf which cuts easily and tidily into slices and can be buttered without falling to pieces and sticking to the butter-loaded knife.

The recipe calls for self-raising flour and the only SR flour I had was wholemeal.  Too much bran.  On review I think that I would recommend 50/50 plain/wholemeal SR flour.

This amount made my three little tins and a 1 lb loaf tin which I baked in a tray of water in the oven.

 
Fruit Tea Loaf

500 g mixed fruit
1.5 cups of strong tea (use more if you are going for the full bran experience of wholemeal flour)
250 g caster sugar

Soak all this together for a few hours (preferably overnight)

1 egg
500 g self-raising flour  (or half/half wholemeal/plain self raising flour)
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp grated nutmeg

Stir the egg into the soaked fruit and sift in the dry ingredients.  Mix well and spoon it into your prepared baking (or steaming) tins.  Steam for 1 hour.

You will need a 2lb loaf tin if you are baking it (1 hour at 170 degrees C – fan oven).  I suggest that you stand the loaf tin in a roasting dish with an inch of so of water in it.

Comments

  1. This sounds rather like my mother's fatless cake, which I used to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very, very good; even though I don't eat fruit cake that looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy, and have never steamed like that, good idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like one we used to make in the bread maker before it broke. The only trouble was that it was so moreish that it disappeared at high speed! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s kinda like the three ingredient cake I make. You soak the dried fruit in tea, juice or chocolate milk.
    Then after the fruit is plump add the self raising flour.
    You can then cook it in the oven, or like i do, cook it in the slowcooker with water to steam it.

    I think it’s a weight watches recipe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment