Kew

For Christmas 2023 Mr B's daughters gave us tickets for a day out at Kew Gardens. What with one thing and another we hadn't made the 'days out' this year that had been our objective when we embarked on my last year as a permanent resident of this beautiful land with all its variety, history, culture and innovation.

By Thursday evening I had worked my way through my list of admin and had arrived at 'cancel my phone contract'.  That can wait until I am actually boarding the departing plane, so as we were pushing yet another one of my freezer dinners around our plates I suggested a day out at the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew for Friday.

By train.

If I had an annual membership and went every week there still wouldn't be enough time in a year to contemplate and absorb all the possibilities it represents. There are a 1000 potential garden designs percolating round my brain.  I didn't take a load of photos that are worth sharing despite grand vistas, great textures and colours, and interesting plant associations.

As we were crossing a quiet lawn on our way out, having finished our day with a contemplation of the waterlily house, we were approached by a squirrel. Said squirrel had noticeably yellow fur on its tummy. Apart from that it was either blind or well versed in running up to gullible humans who fall for cuteness overload.



It likes pieces of apple, but it doesn't eat the skin.

Comments

  1. I think it has trained the humans! Cats aren't the only ones !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kew Gardens..another of my favourite places to visit when I lived down there. My schoolfriend and I would take a packed lunch and catch the bus, spending all day there. Back then it only cost pennies for entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We picnic lunched too and where treated to a parade of Canada geese marching (as geese march) from one grazing spot to the next past our bench.

      Delete
    2. lol the only things that come looking for food here are those bl****** seagulls after your hot chips or kookaburras who’ll snatch the sausage out of your fingers or off your plate even.

      Will you be’ ‘sad’ to leave GB or do you really feel ‘it’s time’.
      It’s a big move to consider now so I’m curious to know if you’d considered retirement in the UK or was it always planned for you both to come back to NZ . (Tell me to MMOB if inappropriate)

      Delete
    3. Cathy it was always my plan. Things have delayed it's execution for about 20 years but I set retirement as do or die time. I can't imagine spending my last years here.

      Delete
  3. How lovely to hand-feed a squirrel. Kew Gardens are so special, a treasure trove and huge library of seeds. It must be such a privilege to work there, as well as hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched a TV series once about daily life at Kew (from the perspective of the gardeners). It was fascinating :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari Om
    So glad you finally got the use of the ticket! To have such charming company was a bonus 😁. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They’re so clever. They know who to approach for free food

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment