Lime Pickle

With an excess of limes and a preference for eating curries there was no excuse really for not making lime pickle.
Assembling the ingredients for fermented Hot Lime Pickle.  The recipe I chose to follow required 2/3 cup of hot chilli powder. For 30 limes it seemed a little excessive but I liked the idea of minced fresh garlic and ginger....

....so I compromised on chilli and added a range of other flavours suggested by a second recipe (fennel, nigella, cumin, methi, and curry leaves). The second photo is a bucket of 30 chopped up limes salted and releasing their juice into chilli, garlic, fresh ginger, curry leaves,  hing and turmeric.  They were later tempered with an oil/spice mix and shovelled into jars to sit in the sun and ferment for a while

Comments

  1. Very nice. I do like lime pickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love most food Indian - nz is improving on that score but 25 years ago you couldn't find a decent curry house in the whole South Island. I developed my live of the food in uk.

      Delete
  2. Delicious!! I'd love to taste it when it's ready. Don't know whether we'd use it here though. I've been making tomato sauce today. NZ recipe, tastes nothing like Watties of course but still damn good.
    Feels good to bottle and preserve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im with you on the bottling and preserving. I did loads in Greece and we took boxes of bottled peaches back to uk with us! The joiners engaged to do our new kitchen asked why there is such a big pantry... doh

      Delete
  3. I've never had anything like this before. It sounds spicy and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duke you would jate it but tell your Mum to seek out a good Indian restaurant and ask for lime pickle wirh some dosa or pappadoms and a yoghurt raita.

      Delete
  4. How long does the pickle ferment and then store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipes vary on their recommended fermentation and storable times. I'll taste test the fermentation and then stop it by heating and sealing it into preserving jars.

      Delete

Post a Comment