Laiki (Lie-key)

On the subject of human society, needing each other, the other day on the way to work I finally got to see where human food comes from if you don't have the means to grow it yourself.  F stopped to buy eggs at a small stall in a laiki - the produce market we passed once before on the way to work.
Egg Seller













When I passed this market before we simply shot past the end of it making the melon seller go all 'soft over the cat'.  This time no melons and we drove between the stalls.  It was like the produce from every allotment in the world all piled up on tables.  There were things F never grew on our allotment.  Colours, smells, shouting (all in Greek), people laughing at me (I don't care, I sat up really straight so that I could get a good look at all the piled up human food), and people towing smaller versions of Donkey, all jostling for space and a way through.

So this is where Donkey goes on a Saturday when he comes home with his tummy full of allotment produce.  F doesn't really have a secret allotment that I haven't been allowed to visit; she comes to this place.

The egg-seller said I was 'just like a dog'! 

What an insult!  I don't think we should buy his eggs again.

Comments

  1. Just like a dog?? I feel for you. Like F being called an aussie. Disgraceful.
    Oh what mounds of greens and tomatoes, and were those grapes. Yes, grapes, in June. We won't see a grape till August. Its a long time since I've seen such a selection. One of the better things about city life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the photos are a cheat - F pulled them out of her album on Greece. They were probably taken in September or October - including the one of Kyria Egg Seller at the top. We haven't seen her since the COVID thing. We hope she's alright because she laughs a lot. We have a Tuesday Laiki and a Saturday Laiki - they were really stripped down during the quarantine period but appeared to be back to normal at last on Saturday. We'll check the Tuesday one on the way to work today. You know what they say about all roads leading to Rome - well here all ferries lead to Piraeus -including the ones with produce on them. It's fun to decipher the signs and work out where various things come from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a bountiful harvest So much wonderful food
    I’m growing as much as I can at the moment but being winter here I’m limited
    But I’m already making plans for summers crops
    I agree. How rude don’t buy that persons eggs any more

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm used to it. People have said I'm like a dog since I moved into with F and Mr B over 11 years ago. Not entirely sure why. F says she used to live with a cat that played football, and could catch flying corks like dogs catch frisbees... so maybe it is something to do with the human in the household rather than me per se.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment