Gratitude

Cooking peaches.  The smell is unmistakeable and the apartment is filled with it. (Better than smelling like a fish smoker I guess.)

F said peaches were 50c per kilogram, so how could she not buy them?

"Easy" I reply, "spend the money on chicken before you go to the fruit market".

Some of the peaches were bigger than my head. And furry.  

They lack ears and intelligence though! 


They are sealed into some jars now to make peach crumble for Mr B in the winter time.

We read a blog by Sue in Suffolk.  We like to follow Sue because she blogs about a life lived well in a way that doesn't either gloss out or dwell on the adversity but deals with the positive and the challenging each in their places.  She calls it a 'Quiet Life'.  We hope she won't mind us saying but she blogs almost mindfully about home, gardening, growing food, her village and countryside, changing seasons, her enjoyment of sport and reading, and gratitude. It's a reminder to us when we are moaning about heat or traffic noise that we have a good life and much to be grateful for.

We could list our gratitude for having all our basic needs met (home, beds, regular meals, clean water, friends and good neighbours etc), and yes we are grateful because it is easy to overlook the importance of these things and forget that even where we live (in the Western World) not everyone enjoys having these basic needs met.

I mean - just look at those cats on the street....

However, we are going to keep our gratitude today to things topical:

- I'm grateful we are a long way from those devastating fires
- F for peaches at 50c per kg (if that's F's top gratitude it says sad things about her priorities)
- she says she is also grateful I'm in remarkably good health.  Well of course I am, excellent health in fact, but I don't know what she thinks is remarkable about it.
- I'm grateful the pills and medicine have stopped and my system can at last restore its own balance and routine.  (The food's still pretty watery though.)
- I'm also grateful that tuna flavoured ice cubes came out of the 'blip' (as we are referring to it).  I like them

And just to lighten the mood, here is a pretty moth we were grateful to be able to move outdoors without doing it any damage.

Comments

  1. I have followed Sue for many a year……you’re right about her positive attitude to life, even while coping with Colin’s (her late husband) illness and subsequent death she never gave in - ‘poor me’ just didn’t appear in her vocabulary.
    Thank you for the reminder that gratitude should be part of our daily lives. It does enter my thoughts as I’m settling down for the night but I never think to write about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue had one of those blogs that assures me it's ok to enjoy stuff close to home, to find pleasure in life's routine, to celebrate simple things. I regard her as an inspiration.

      Delete
  2. 50 cents a kilo!! Lucky you. I bought nectarines on Saturday and they were almost 2 euros a kilo. They were hard too. I stewed them.
    That's a beautiful moth. I've never seen one like that before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were rejects - had the odd bruise or scuff mark on them, and destined for the bin i suspect if not sold by the end of market day.

      Delete
  3. my birth state of Georgia, USA is the mecca of peaches. in fact I as a person and sometimes called a Georgia Peach. seeing these in jars is what we were talking about over coffee this morning, both of our parents canned every thing our dads grew, and bought bushes baskets of peaches for me and apples for Bob. different parts of the country.
    Each day I try to remember to think about how blessed we are in spite of daily STUFF.. food and clothing and shelter and a little more than what we NEED. others are not so blessed.
    Love the pink and gray on the moth. Love your head which is more beautiful than a PEACH.. we saw the fire damage on news today in your country and in ours also, whole towns burned to the ground. just having a HOME that is liveable is a blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How come you grew up in a land of peaches and haven't eaten apricots?
      We hope all the medical consultations ended as satisfyingly as Tigger's did. In his case nothing that can't be resolved with a bit of diet and exercise. Try telling that to a 'retired' cat.

      Delete
  4. miaow tigger, please could we have the recipe for tuna flavoured ice cubes? phoebe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small tin (very small I suspect) of tuna in spring water spread around the compartments of an ice cube tray, each hole topped up with water and frozen. Nothing special but when one thaws in my bowl I drink the water before i eat the small amount of tuna (that wouldn't fill the corner of a gnats eye). xxx Mr T

      Delete
  5. We have so much to be grateful for. As I grow older I increasingly think gratitude is one of the best of virtues and yet the one of the easiest to forget or put aside. The lovely red underwing moth is an apt example!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Amen to all of that, Tigger ol' boy! I noticed Sue hangs out on Aitch's blog - I will have to have a gander... Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a great way to think and especially now we all need to be grateful for what we have
    That is a fantastic price for peaches and I too would be very excited. It’s nice to preserve food for when they are expensive and use them then for a little treat and to remind yourself of summer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment