Doh!

Because I am on a drive to bring you as many as possible of the positive aspects of living here, after assailing you for a week with the colours of the laiki - I talked F into taking me to the meat market today, and you should be seeing photos of all the fabulous meat and (not so fabulous in my view) fish that are displayed there.

She forgot to take her phone.

Doh!

There are shops selling pickled stuff in the meat market - F took a lunch box and bought capers.  The caper seller photographed me.  F couldn't photograph the caper seller.  

Crikey, what am I paying her for?!  That is the second good story she has missed this week.

So now I have to tell you about a weekend that involved nothing more interesting than F making a Christmas cake, deciding to flavour it with some mastika (along with all the usual citrus and spices flavours, and to give it a nod to Greek cakes of the Christmas/New Year season) and possibly over-doing the quantity.  The whiff of mastika about the place is stronger than the citrus and spices.  It is noticeable but not completely unpleasant, and F says (or hopes) it will moderate by the time the cake has been fed a shotglass of Metaxa every week between now and Christmas  (and be replaced, no doubt, by the nose searing smell of raw alcohol....)

She assures me the fruit sugars will mellow the alcohol and the whole thing will 'mature'. 

The fruit boil-up stage

What do I know - I would never eat the stuff anyway.  The humans seem to like it.

Mr B is driving through Switzerland.  I am counting the 'sleeps' till he arrives here - F says 3.  I say 6.  We count sleeps differently.

Counting sleeps


Comments

  1. first things first. the sight of your paws in you deep sleep make me feel all warm and fuzzy in my heart. drat on no pics of the meat market, that means you will get another trip for us to see it... wishing safe travels for Mr. B to get home to both of you and to have no troulbes at the the borders. we call your Christmas cake, fruitcakes. bob and I love them, my mother made the bestest of them all, and she gave her recipe to my brothers wife. for years she bakes them and sends us one in the mail. that all stopped in 2017 when I gave up sugar... looking at your photo i want one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    My mother was the cake and pudding maker... I can make them - but being just me, there would be just me to eat them. This, let me tell you, is not a good recipe... Mr T, I hope that the three sleeps prove true and you see Mr B before you can count to six!!! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now a mince pie or two and a wee dram shared with neighbours makes Xmas time.
      Furrings and purrings from our house to yours. MR T

      Delete
  3. I wish that I liked dried fruit then I could eat Christmas cake, mince pies, hot cross buns etc....
    All that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F wants to know how anyone van survive on NOT eating mince pies. Her Nana used to make something thst was a dried fruit mixture sandwiched into pastry and which all the grandchildren called 'fly cemetary'. Mince pies are a barely adequate substitute.

      Delete
  4. Unrelated but I’ll answer you here instead of email about the ivy detergent, so others can have a go if they’d like.
    Gather 40-50 ivy leaves, the darker the better. Slice and dice and add to 4.5-5 cups of boiling water. Let them simmer for 15 minutes. Let the whole thing cool in the fridge or outside, depending on which is cooler, overnight. Strain out the leaves making sure to squeeze all the water out of them. Store the detergent in the fridge. Use about a cup per load, and I know that’s vague; I’ve just been using it generously. If you have a washing machine that heats the water to really hot, you may be able to just put the ivy leaves in a net bag and toss in with your laundry.
    We’re loving this new and free detergent. And no plastic was involved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fruit cake sounds like it’s going to be very very rich
    I’ve never made a traditional fruit cake that you have to make months ahead.
    I make a simple version that I cook in the slow cooker overnight
    Everyone enjoys it. Especially if I serve it with ice cream and my home made caramel sauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a christmas pudding. We have those too.

      Delete
  6. I found some leftover Xmas mince in the freezer a few days ago. I shall make a note to add, a little, mastiha to it.
    I do remember fly pie from somewhere. Maybe my nana made a similar concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m annoyed at myself for not making the puddings before we came away…..it’s one thing I did do so there wasn’t a rush when we got home. September to December seems to pass quickly, no time no time to do anything. So looks like there won’t be an6 this coming season.
    Oh and F I’ve a query over at Still Waters that I know you’ll have the answer to. Come on over please…pretty please. Mr T you might know but I think MsF will be the knowledgeable one. Thanks Cxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xmas pudding traditionally made in November (boil em up Sunday) - so you have time. I think I might have seen your 'item of curiosity' - that tiny schooner rigged yacht?

      Delete

Post a Comment