Mud and Sawdust

Spanish Bluebells abound in our garden.  They are pretty when they are flowering, in shades of blue and pink, but unlike the English ones they have no scent and they are frowned upon by the English purists and regarded as something of a weed.

Apparently they can also cross-pollinate with the English ones and create some sort of bastardized bluebell that takes over the countryside.  An invasion of bluebells....horrors.... I could think of many worse things marching across the countryside (boots, boots on people with guns, invasions of slugs or hornets, rabid dogs, ... add your own worse fear here).

F kind of understands, and for years did battle with the Spanish bluebells in our garden.  She opened the office window this morning to permit me to supervise Mr B putting up a bird box on the back wall of the house and we spied hundreds of Spanish bluebell shoots making a 'run for it' across the piece of scruffy grass between us and the neighbour.  I think she has lost that battle.  

As for the bird box - it is a bit sunless over that side of the house but it is sheltered and as far as access by cats and squirrels goes, possibly the most inaccessible spot on our property.  It remains to be seen what the blue tits think about it.  (Different birds like different sized entry holes so my humans set this bird box to blue tit size.  I wonder whether I will be able to see them from the office window sill.)

That egg-shaped thing; it looks like a security camera on the back of the house. (The old security light hasn't worked in the 14 years we have had this place.)

On the subject of bird boxes, F also bought what looks to me like a teapot, but she assures me is really a bird box: - for robins, who like open fronted nesting places.  I know that about robins.  They like slots in our wood pile for instance, and it makes them easier to catch.  F covered the wood pile this year (much to my disappointment) when we saw a robin fly in to investigate the possibilities.  She has arranged for Mr B to put the teapot up on the garage wall (spout pointing down for built in drainage) behind a bush on the other side of the wood pile.
...with bush pulled out of the way to photograph it...
Out of reach.

I had a rough weekend.  Small humans came to stay.  I hid upstairs, in the shed, in the garage, and upstairs again.  It rained all weekend which was generally miserable, but the small humans were dragged out to the garage to engage in various constructive activities, which looked to me more like destruction as they stomped on bits of stick to bust them up for firewood, and helped Mr B cut plywood into smaller pieces to build something.  

Mud and sawdust.

It is a combination that seems to impress small humans.  All it needs is a pot of indelible paint to become a small human nirvana.  F has promised to make some small human overalls and painting smocks.  I suspect that means indelible paint is set to join the mix.

One good thing to come out of the small-human visit is that they didn't eat all their chicken and bacon.

That is, however, the only positive aspect of the visit that I have yet identified.

(Me supervising in the garage the day BEFORE the small humans arrived.  A relaxed day that was.)


Comments

  1. Any colour in the garden please me Tigger. Buttercups, Wild Garlic, Dandelions, Daisies in the lawns, Montbretia, Dog Rose. I would never be a plant purist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F is inclined to the same view, but appreciates that some species (like red squirrels and English bluebells) don't have the means to compete with new arrivals and might end up disappearing if we don't give them a hand.

      Delete
  2. Those small humans, very trying for an old feller. They should get off your lawn! But there's the built in advantage of nice bits of food, the smaller the humans, the more likely the bits to forage for. I love the tea pot bird box. Around here birds have become scarce in recent years, even at feeders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have yet to see whether any of these novelty bird boxes (or the places that we put them) works. We built wooden ones a few years ago but squirrels ate away the entrances and made the holes big enough for squirrels to get inside. Grrrr-Squirrels eat eggs. We have to rebuild those ones and we have steel plates with holes in them to protect the entrances on the new boxes.

      Delete
  3. Come spring you’ll be inundated with birds of all shapes, sizes and colours. How glorious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are inundated now. F messed up filming the birds flocking onto the feeders yesterday or you would have got a movie of the mobbing.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    I'm with Northsider, I have to say, re the garden colour... you did well to survive the mini-me invasion; chicken and bacon goes a long way in compawnsayshun, methinks! I love the bird boxes - pawhaps the young'uns are being trained to build more of those??? Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not a bad idea for the next garage project. The first project was a step thing for bigger small-human to stand on to do baking in the kitchen with F. Bird boxes next. Thank you Yam-aunty, that should keep them out of my fur a bit longer. furrings and purrings Mr T

      Delete
  5. best things first, you look like you are on a throne in that bed and oh so happy... and at peace. you survived the little ones, and that is good news. Wild clapping for the teapot on the wall. LOVE IT! I am a lover of flowering weeds and anything bluebell would be good. right now we have weeds everywhere in everyones yard and they look like tiny daisies. it is a proven fact, verified my MY eyes that older men look better when wrinkled than women... of course the ones I used as my subject are all MOVIE stars. I do suppose it matters what we start out with. I mean I never looked like Sofia Lorne, which means I never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F says if she looks as fresh as you do when she reaches your stage of maturity it would only be by miracle. Even the movie stars don't look great before the make-up department gets started on them. Xxx Mr T

      Delete
  6. Moki - the basket is my original carry box thing laid on its side. F lined it with carpet scraps and put a cushion in the bottom. I was meant to sleep in it so that when i had to go to the V-E-T the basket wasn't a threat. It kind of worked but it was such a faff to repurpose my favorite bed that they used a cardboard box and i love cardboard boxes too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the teapot. Hope the Robins do too. I'm nurturing my nasturtiums. Winter colour is so welcome. I even love the yellow tryfilli that smothers everything else

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do like that robin's nestbox. Our robin has learnt to hang on the feeders and is giving the starlings a good run for their money competing with them for the suet pellets. Humphrey thinks it outrageous that we should have the audacity to put the feeders up in the first place with him being such a fine hunter....he never catches birds thankfully only mice. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever robin. Ours is still wary of other birds. Mr T is a ground hunter too (mice and voles mostly) but occasionally a robin that nested too close to the ground (in the woodpile).

      Delete

Post a Comment