Village Pub

Leafy Surrey.

Mr B and I drove F to Dorking the night before her walking excursion.

Rail strikes work to my advantage.

F promised us a meal on arrival.  Her walk was to start at the Stepping Stones pub in Westhumble, so after dropping her bag in her billet, we went to check it out.  

Half a pint of TEA

It was (despite being an English cat of mature years, and even though during my time in Greece I sampled the hospitality of many Greek cafes and tavernas) my first visit to an English pub.  I rely on Mr B.... thus was I reliably informed that it was a representative example of a village pub.   We got a table and very comfy chairs in a pleasant garden surrounded by big trees. One group of our fellow diners appeared to be a gathering of Triumph Bonneville riders; their steeds were all lined up in the carpark when we left - acres of chrome and shiny paint jobs.


My first course was a delightful pate. Unfortunately Mr B spread half of it on toast and it disappeared down his throat with a smear of pickle on it before I could fight him for it. F let me finish her half; she decorated her toast with just the smear of pickle and ate some rabbit food that was decorating the plate. 

Pate was followed by a slow cooked lamb shank and a steak and ale pie. I sampled both but preferred the pate. 

The waitress wasn't conversant in cat, so even though I was projecting as hard as I possibly could, more pate was not forthcoming. She did mention 'dog treats'! Horrors! Does she not know who she is waiting on here? I am THE Tigger.

Dog treats indeed!

My humans chuckled after she had left.

This pub dining lark seems quite a pleasant way to spend a summer evening.  I must insist we do this again.


We left F in Dorking and as I drove Mr B home again I paid more attention to the buildings with signs.  There seems to be a good supply of these village pub things that we could visit.

I do hope they all have delightful pate.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Tigger, mate, even I have recently ventured into such a hostelry - and been mightily impressed (with their vegetarian offerings), so I do hope that you get to sample more! Can't be sure of pate, but almost certainly something else to whet the tastebuds! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relaxing at the pub is a perfect way to spend a day.
    Did it myself this afternoon. Unfortunately there were no cats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a typical English village pub. Now you know what you've been missing Tigger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure, Tigger. Pate is good in small measures. I hope you have the opportunity to visit further village hostelries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Travelling Mr T ... what a gadabout you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thinking the waitress was Like Me, I have never seen a cat in a resturant, or for that matter a dog. there are a few with outside seats for dogs, but we have not been there. so happy you had a trip out, I know you miss those daily walks down the sidewalk with your admirers making over you.. the only time I saw a cat riding in a basket like yours was in a nursing home, and they brought 2 in as therapy cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds wonderfully English. A pint and good grub. Hope you get to try the experience again, especially the pate experience

    ReplyDelete
  8. Humphrey is now rather partial to the little expensive sachets of wet food, but what he doesn't realise is that they're only to mask the taste of his course of medicine which finishes soon so it will be back to boring old Royal Canin plus mice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pate could become the staple diet of Mr T's meals, he would feel like royalty then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dog treats indeed! Mittens nearly choked on her Fussy Cat dinner when I told her about your latest adventure :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment